birds for training dogs

jim t

Hi lads

Do any of ye keep quail for training dogs, i have been told that quail are good to help a dog lear the ropes, also partridge but find it hard to get partridge here (ireland) have a young setter and would like to get a few birds to train her on now that the season is closed

Hi lads

Do any of ye keep quail for training dogs, i have been told that quail are good to help a dog lear the ropes, also partridge but find it hard to get partridge here (ireland) have a young setter and would like to get a few birds to train her on now that the season is closed

[/quote

Hi Jim Yes i breed BOB WHITE QUAIL for training my GSHP and GWHP , you can train them to go back into thiere living quarters after you r dogs have worked them , you take a few and release them in your training ground let them settle then work your dogs and after the dogs find and point you flush the quail, and the birds you have left in the pen will call them back home , you can allso plant them in cover in a small wire cage but this means the dogs will pick up your scent as well, its ok to start them using birds in cages ( I allso use homing pigeons )but a lot more natural letting the quail loose, the dogs only scent the birds and bob whites flush and fly like wild birds, hope this helps good luck hy-flyer

Jim, I used to keep some quail for pointing training. If you go to a poultry dealer you can get cock birds for next to nothing. I was given some. I had them in a cage a few feet long and kept them on layers pellets. I had a small cage I would put them in and hide them for the dog.

i can make up a cage no problem im just wondering how i will make it so as to allow the birds returning back in