Stocks

dog man

Depends on what sort of finish you're after.Im currently restoring the stock on my 1944 Mauser and am using boiled linseed oil which was the traditional finish for guns.Applied with your fingers (to get heat into the oil) once a day and rub lightly with 0000 wirewool between coats you slowly build up the finish.

Truoil gives similiar results and does dry quicker,but costs about 30x more.

Hiya, I had the stock and forgrip refurbed by Adam on here....and he advised me to use Walnut oil....so, it gets a coat every few trips out, and a quick wipe after..:)

Bought a big bottle of Walnut Oil from Asda...about £1.50..:) But, eventually bought a bottle of English Walnut Oil by David Nickerson... Stock looks amazing...:)

How I hate to be that predictable.

A very volatile subject, that of stock finishing materials. The truth is, there is no short cuts. A quick finish, well that is a can of acrylic aerosol spray, closely followed by True-oil (spelling..? apologies I've never had it in the workshop).

To answer your question; firstly you have to understand the rule of the P's. Perfect preparation prevents **** poor performance. In other words before you even apply any form of stock finish, the woodwork has to be perfectly prepared. Then a natural product, shellac mixed with bees' wax, a carrying oil and a small quantity of dryer applied daily, vigorously rubbed once the oil starts to solidify and then repeated until you achieve a deep, lustrous glaze. Allow to harden for ten days - more in the cooler months, then buff to a shine and polish with a good bees' wax furniture polish will leave a finish beyond belief that will stand all winds and weathers and last a life's time. Anybody wishing to try this traditional style of finishing that wishes to pm me I will assist and even make a small quantity of my liquid gold available for just the cost of postage, but beware it's a lot of graft!

Regards

Sage