Thoughtless ferreting Mark 2.....................

Magwitch

Was out with the dogs yesterday morning and after rescuing a sheep which had its head stuck in some stock netting I stumbled upon this poor wretched creature. Whenever the same old arguement comes up over the internet regarding whether to use a locator or not, take a look at this picture....................I have already found one stray ferret this season, I wished i had found this one sooner.

Picture010.jpg

I use to ferret some land that was private, but frequented by poachers.

I often found stray ferrets that had either laid up, or been left when the poachers had to run.

The live ones I was able to re-home, but I did find the odd dead ones that hadn't survived, or perhaps had been hit with a shovel for laying up (a not uncommon practise with some people).

It makes you wonder if it was killed by something. I would of thought any half decent ferret

would have a good chance of survival in the countryside.

There are plenty of birds of prey about as the farm is right by a bird reserve, the polecat i found about a month ago was in very good nick apart from a few ticks...........

• 2 weeks later...

Sad to see a picture like that, I got one of my jills by someone finding it in a field, no collar on and a ferret box had been found in the same field a couple of weeks prior she was thin when i got her but she has fatened up now and what a good worker she is but i will not send her down without a collar, They might be expensive for the collars but i could not live with my self knowing i had left a ferret to fend for itself and not knowing it was ok, I know lads round here that have the attitude that its only a ferret you get them for nothing anyway.