tikka 223 bullet problems

alan fox

Hi everyone,hope someone can help,a friend as recently purchased a tikka 223 it as a 1:8 twist asn he as been told it can shoot ammunition up to 85gn,so he had some made for him rangeing from 55gn upwards but he found that they wont load in the magazine because they are too long,by 2mm in some cases,he told them at the shop and they said that he would have to load the in singles,is this correct or is there a mag he can buy to take the longer bullets?? many thanks,HAPPY HUNTING!!!

85 grains is a bit heavy for vermin, and probably the reason that the bullets sit so long.

i wouldnt have thought you could buy a different magazine, as if the sako action is anything to go by, they have a short, medium and long action type, and a different magazine for each. The magazines from these actions can not be interchanged with other action sizes.

stick to the 50-60 grain bullets if your friends is after a vermin gun.

If he isnt then loading individually isnt such an issue.

thanks for the helpful replies,he does shoot foxes but not with 80gn ammo!! only target work and i do agree with the point that if hes shooting targets then loading singles isnt an issue,hes one that if he buys a gun that is capable of taking 80gn ammo he wants to try it and expects the mag that it came with to be able to take the longer bullets,i supose hes got a point but hes only ever shot 50 to 60gn before with no problem,maybe he should stick to what he knows,if its not broke dont try and fix it :) many thanks