Mechanical trigger fails to reset

Tonic

Hello,

I have a Franchi with mechanical trigger that hasnt been fired in about 10 years. I dusted it off on the clays, but after about 50 rounds it failed to reset the trigger for the second shot. This was only the case when firing the bottom barrel first, switching the barrel select "cured" the problem.

The problem doesnt exist if there is no recoil. As seen in my tests below:

Two used shells (bottom or top barrel first):

Trigger pull #1: CLICK

Trigger pull #2: CLICK

Two live shells (or snap caps) - top barrel first:

Trigger pull #2: CLICK

Two live shells (or snap caps) - bottom barrel first:

Trigger pull #2: no click :-(

Is this a known problem with mechanical triggers? What is the likely cause?

Please note that I'm not sure if 'mechanical trigger' is the correct name. What I mean is 'not inertia'.

I'll probably be taking this to a gunsmith to get it fixed anyway - but some prior knowledge would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by Tonic

What Franchi model is it? I have a Falconet which is about 30 years old.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is a Falconet (I'm not at home so cant double check - I only got my mitts on it this weekend so not entirely clued up on it just yet). The action is painted black... if that helps :-D I think it belonged to the dad of the guy i got it from, so 30yrs would probably be about right.

Thanks for the replies!

I'll send you a PM soon Dennis if that is OK. I'm away from the phone for a week or so.

For those interested, I have had a look at the mechanism and think I know where the problem is (sorry for lack of pictures... I'm away from the guns too!).

To fire pin on a given barrel, a lever/latch (sear?) has to be lifted. This lifting is done by a block (selector block?) connected to the trigger, which lifts when the trigger is pulled. The block is stepped, so that after the first sear is lifted out of the way, it pivots forwards to engage the second sear.

The problem is that the selector block doesn't always move forwards! If the selector switch is one way, the selector block moves smoothly and the spring has some springyness. If switched the other way, the block is jerky and not very springy at all. The selector switch/rod is also quite hard to move in one direction. I guess either the spring is weak, or there is some crud or a burr on the selector/spring. I have it a shot of WD-40 which improved it, but still not 100% reliable.

After all that, I think the problem is inside the trigger mechanism. I didn't want to take anything apart without guidance in case I broke it lol.

No more to say really ( other than I'll give you £50 for it as is)

No chance!

Cheers folks!

Yep phone Dennis best man for the job. No more to say really ( other than I'll give you £50 for it as is)

No chance!

Cheers folks!

Dennis is the man to sort these things out (£75 :good: )

Edited by HDAV

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update to anyone interested:

It turns out that one half of the trigger mechanism was slightly worn (I'm not convinced it was an original part, the quality is nowhere near as good as the rest of the action). This allowed the inertia block to be pushed over too far to one side by the barrel selector. The bottom of the inertia block was worn on one side too (just below the pivot), which caused it to fall off the spring slightly. This caused the spring to push the inertia block sideways just as much as it was pushing the block forwards. It also made it harder to push the selector back the other way.

I padded out the worn area with a stainless shim, then polished out a few imperfections, burrs & worn areas in the inertia block for good measure.

It works great.

Cheers folks!