WATCH OUT THERE A THIEF ABOUT

hunterswind9465

Imagine the situation you are next to a 200 acre wood with hundreds of pigeons piling into the only shootable rape field in the area 30 mins into the action you have 30 to 40 woodys and you go to tidy up the pattern, there are 2 other guns on the field banging away so you better be quick so not to spoil their sport.

You come back to the hide and you think where is my gun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This happend last Saturday to one of my clients, he called the police and within 30 mins 3 roads were blocked we had tracker dogs etc and the gun was eventualy found 30 yards away in the wood so the panic was over. The police ran a fingerprint check on the gun and there was 2 sets of prints so we hope the thief might be traced.

Remember this was in the middle of no where not like the areas some of you guys shoot, next time you leave your hide you should think about taking your gun with you no matter if you are only going away from the hide for a few mins.

The worst bit of all was the client had now no gun and had to watch the other 2 shoot 327 pigeons between them.

Got to give due credit to the police they turned up with a good speed they were very well organised with very little fuss, their only concern was to get the gun back quickly. When the gun was found they took it for finger printing and my client had it back within 5 hours. The Sargent in charge even shook my clients hand when we went to collect it.

Thought that since the owner and loser of the gun is me I should respond.

Organised a day's shooting thorugh Andy. He put me on a first class field but the magnet was scaring the birds a little. Decided to take it down and move the pattern closer to the wood that bordered the field since the pigeons seemed to be using as a flight line. Shot a couple straight away and then pricked one at about 40 yds. Ran out of the hide to despatch it but it managed to get airborne again and into the wood 20 yds away. Returned to the hide where I had left my gun upright against the wall and massive horror the dead bird and gun were gone!

I had my back turned for no more than 30secs. The only thing I could think was that someone was watching from the dense woodland that bordered the field and raced out to lift the gun by its barrel over the wall.

I am not normally in the habit of unloading my semi and carrying it with me to pick up or despatch birds - however I will NEVER leave a hide from now on without my gun regardless of how remote or safe the area seems.

Left mobile in car so ran to farmer and we alerted police who couldn't have been more professional or helpful in helping to secure the immediate area and eventually find the gun.

In the meantime Andy took me back to his house for tea and helped me get my gun back once fingerprinted.

Thinking that would me my day over Andy took the time to drive me to a wood where I got some of the most challenging high bird roost shooting I've ever done and ended up with a respectable tally of birds.

Just a bitch that the day got off to such a terrible and scary start when it had all the makings of a red letter day.

Would also like to say that Andy was the consumate guide I will certainly be using him again for pigeon or goose because the service was excellent value for money.

Incidentally I am in no way associated with him and met him for the first time on Saturday.