Drillings at last!

M ROBSON

There has been a good number of birds all winter, I'd say our numbers are on a steady increase in thi area.

We get very few Scandinavian birds in our bags through the winter but I did notice some in a bag last week, would have thought they'd be moving off by now, or maybe their on the way north from somewhere else down south???

cheers,

Mark.

There has been a good number of birds all winter, I'd say our numbers are on a steady increase in thi area.

We get very few Scandinavian birds in our bags through the winter but I did notice some in a bag last week, would have thought they'd be moving off by now, or maybe their on the way north from somewhere else down south???

cheers,

Mark.

How do you tell between a scandanavian and a normal? :good:

How do you tell between a scandanavian and a normal? :good:

Although we don't get that many around here it is quite easy to tell when they do appear in the bags.

They are a bit smaller than our local birds, about the same size as a young local bird. I always think they feel a bit skinny and underweight compared to the big fat ones we have around here! :lol:

They also have a darker breast, instead of the soft pink on a local bird they have a more reddish brown tint to their chest. Especially further up the neck, arround the bottom of the spot. It's quite noticable when you have a local and Scandinavian bird side by side.

My guess is these birds were coming north from their wintering grounds...France....Spain...?????

I wish I'd taken a picture for comparison, their away to the game dealer now.

Cheers,

Mark.

Although we don't get that many around here it is quite easy to tell when they do appear in the bags.

They are a bit smaller than our local birds, about the same size as a young local bird. I always think they feel a bit skinny and underweight compared to the big fat ones we have around here! :lol:

They also have a darker breast, instead of the soft pink on a local bird they have a more reddish brown tint to their chest. Especially further up the neck, arround the bottom of the spot. It's quite noticable when you have a local and Scandinavian bird side by side.

My guess is these birds were coming north from their wintering grounds...France....Spain...?????

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks for the reply! I'll keep an eye out from now on, (maybe I'll get one when they come a bit further north but unlikely :lol: ).

Cheers,

Mark.

mark we get alot of scandinavian bird appear in winter feeding on the acorns and beech mast here in cumbria they seem to disapear about febuary time

We may get a lot more passing through here at the start of the winter but I'm busy with goose shooters then. We don't really start hitting the pigeons hard till the start of February.

It was the last of a 3 day trip today for my group, ended up with a total of 606 pigeons.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by M ROBSON