Shoot a Grey Day

-kev-

1st september.

They seem really active round my way and less attentive than usual at this time of year - too busy feeding up I reckon plus looking for some Ms Tufty action ;)

For me, an air rifle is the tool of choice (if you can hold a rifle still, lol)

when it comes to dropping skuggies.

Edited by The Duncan

Not too many, or not that they reported on PW.

However the annual Grey Squirrel Kills Count was up on previous years, and just topped 3000.

The idea came about by my posting on PW about what we had done on a small shoot that I was involved with some years ago.

I started to organise mini working parties in February, we would meet up, do a couple of hours improving the tracks for beaters etc. We would then have lunch. All through the season our eyes were open for grey squirrel dreys, and so after lunch we would break up into small groups. The object being to shoot out the dreys (they were far too high to poke. We did this until around 3pm, when we would break up and roost shoot the woodies.

The idea was a success,its amazing what can be achieved over a few hours by several men repeated 4 times in February. The shoot was improved.

The squirrels were controlled.

We made a useful day out on the shoot out of what would have otherwise been a few hours shooting.

I remembered a national wood pigeon shoot day that was organised by NGO through Shooting Times, I still have the badge that was issued to participants who made a return. Sadly, at the time the event was criticised in the shooting press, and the event not repeated.

All that I did was blow on the embers, add a grey squirrel cull to the day, and post the idea on PW to try and get members interested.

A large number of shoots traditionaly shoot woodies going to roost in February, but my basic idea was to try and encourage PW members who would not normally be out on the 2nd. Saturday in February. Hopefully in a wood that was not normally shot. The greys would be reduced, the woodies controlled, and kept on the move moreso than at any other time due to the increased number of guns out on the one nationl day.

I can't claim it to be a rip roaring success, but there's time yet. Hopefully, you and some of your mates will get involved next year. You could add the signature for the event to all of your posts and raise the profile with other PW members. In the meantime, please do all that you can to control the Grey Squirrels, as our native Reds do need all the assistance that we can provide, even if you have no Reds in your area effort in controlling Greys is not wasted.

Any day is kill a GREY day.

webber

Edited by webber

• 2 weeks later...

Not too many, or not that they reported on PW.

However the annual Grey Squirrel Kills Count was up on previous years, and just topped 3000.

The idea came about by my posting on PW about what we had done on a small shoot that I was involved with some years ago.

I started to organise mini working parties in February, we would meet up, do a couple of hours improving the tracks for beaters etc. We would then have lunch. All through the season our eyes were open for grey squirrel dreys, and so after lunch we would break up into small groups. The object being to shoot out the dreys (they were far too high to poke. We did this until around 3pm, when we would break up and roost shoot the woodies.

The idea was a success,its amazing what can be achieved over a few hours by several men repeated 4 times in February. The shoot was improved.

The squirrels were controlled.

We made a useful day out on the shoot out of what would have otherwise been a few hours shooting.

I remembered a national wood pigeon shoot day that was organised by NGO through Shooting Times, I still have the badge that was issued to participants who made a return. Sadly, at the time the event was criticised in the shooting press, and the event not repeated.

All that I did was blow on the embers, add a grey squirrel cull to the day, and post the idea on PW to try and get members interested.

A large number of shoots traditionaly shoot woodies going to roost in February, but my basic idea was to try and encourage PW members who would not normally be out on the 2nd. Saturday in February. Hopefully in a wood that was not normally shot. The greys would be reduced, the woodies controlled, and kept on the move moreso than at any other time due to the increased number of guns out on the one nationl day.

I can't claim it to be a rip roaring success, but there's time yet. Hopefully, you and some of your mates will get involved next year. You could add the signature for the event to all of your posts and raise the profile with other PW members. In the meantime, please do all that you can to control the Grey Squirrels, as our native Reds do need all the assistance that we can provide, even if you have no Reds in your area effort in controlling Greys is not wasted.

Any day is kill a GREY day.

webber

Sounds like a plan - count me in! I have woods where I have to hit greys. I've got friends who'd be up for culling some greys in a coordinated way ;)