Slight problem.

RUNCEMOUNT

I have a black labrador he will be 3 years old in june, he retrieves all i shoot and generally listen's.

But for the life of me i cannot get him to walk by my side for long periods of time when i am out with the gun, it's like he want's to be 50ft in front of me at all times, and when i succeed it dont last more than 5 minutes before he's off like a 100m champion on a mission.

I swear he has 2 personalities, he's hyper as hell when we out with the gun.

I really got to be firm with him and show him i am annoyed, i do not like scowling him as it makes me feel bad.. :blush:

If he see's me raising the gun he is right back by my side WAITING for me to take a shot, this is what i dont understand why he want's to be in front of me all the time.

It may sound trivial to some, but i am losing out on rabbits as he is scaring them away.

Any tips on how to overcome this, would be great.

Edited by RUNCEMOUNT

same here mate , just keep at the heel work on good advice from this forum i,m trying not to let my ess get away with anything at all , consistancy is key.

i think he may be taking the pee :) if he can get away with it he will..

put your gun away and reteach heel work and showing that this time you really do mean it.

its ok to ******* him when wrong and praise if does right , hows he going to know the difference if you dont

how much shooting have you done over him.

is there any chance you can go out with some one else and let them carry the gun while you concentrate on the dog.

Hi darren

I normally go out atleast once a week with him, but because of work pattern i may not go for 2weeks with him.

I off out with him again tonight, this will be the 2nd night on the trot now.. :D , am going to be firm and not let him leave my side an inch.

I will try what you said aswell, giving gun to somebody else and i work on him.

Any other advice welcome.