Which 12 Ga RTO would you recommend?

Hi Guys,

I tried to get a 12 Ga RTO from Claygame last week but they are out of stock. The problem with Siarm is it is difficult to tell the various RTOs apart.

I notice that some are for slugs, so I can forget those. The others are hard to distinguish.

What is the difference between the remainder for plastic tubes? Some seem to give a deeper crimp. When is a deeper crimp used compared to a shallow crimp.

Brass vs steel - any advantage other than the steel will probably last longer?

Which model numbers do PW members have and which are recommended?

JW

Guest cookoff013

steel holds heat better.

deeper crimp for slower burning powders.

i`ve a n2 for general loads, want a deep n4

look for gaep.

I make my own RTO's and have the central stem shallow so it will finish off crimped cartridges to the standard depth of about 1.5mm.

On a rolled cartridge the rto will keep turning the plastic in whilst there is material available to do so so I believe a shallower RTO would be far more versatile and I don't want an over deep crimp raising breech pressures too high as it struggles to open.

YMMV.

Guest cookoff013

I don't want an over deep crimp raising breech pressures too high as it struggles to open.

YMMV.

this is a very good point, the speed steel loads i manufacture, are very high powder charge, @ 9k psi, the tight crimp works well in this application, any light roll turns, and they dont burn as efficient, and produce erratic speeds.

i think there is a big difference with having a fast burning powder at high pressure with a deep roll crimp, than a slow burning powder, middle of the road pressure and deep crimp.

@jw

if you get a n2 gaep roll turn, ther are as good as it gets really.

http://www.siarm.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_105_103_153_168&products_id=1448

this is a great turn over tool.

the GAEP are the best with out question OTP is the head you want if you are are after a roll turn over with over shot card the heads marked with the numbers 1to4 are for finishing crimps on new cases but will do a rto finish at a push this is a photo of a T2 head in action on new 12g cases nice crimps :yes: I think you will agree