Stocking Rainbow Trout.

I'm involved in the restocking of a once Carp filled moat with trout.

I'm pretty new to the fish scene, so I was wondering if anyone could give me any advise, or point me in the right direction to anything that would help cover the basics?

Many thanks

Andrew

firstly all places must have authority to stock from SEPA in SCOTLAND but i am sure ENGLAND must have regulations too, so just dont go throwing some trout into the water as it could land you in alot of bother ,have a look at the web page for sepa and look under freshwater fisheries,we have to fill out a form every year to allow us to stock :good:

New legislation came into force on August 1, 2008, regulates the introduction (i.e. stocking) of all species of freshwater fish within Scotland.Section 35 of the Aquaculture and Fisheries (Scotland) Act 2007, which inserts a new section 33A into the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries (Consolidation) (Scotland) Act 2003, makes it an offence for any person to intentionally introduce any live fish or spawn of any fish into inland waters, or possess such with the intention of introduction without previous written agreement of the appropriate authority.The principal aim of the new provisions is to protect native biodiversity from the consequences of introductions of non-native fish into Scottish freshwaters. The provisions apply to all introductions of freshwater fish including, salmon, trout and coarse fish to any inland Scottish water system. These provisions do not apply to fish farms (including introduction of brood-stock into hatcheries) or to ornamental fish-keeping facilities.Where a DSFB operates and the fish to be introduced are salmon or sea trout then the relevant Board will take applications from individuals or corporate bodies who wish to introduce fish. The Board will issue written agreement or refusal to the applicantWhere a DSFB does not operate or where the fish being introduced are not salmon or sea trout e.g. brown trout from hatcheries, then it is for Marine Scotland to consider applications from individuals or representatives of corporate bodies who wish to introduce fish and issue written agreement or refusal.Below are links to the application forms and guidance. The applications must be printed off and completed manually before submitting to Marine Scotland.Advice on introductions of fish to Scottish inland watersSingle Introduction application form (SG35S)Block Introduction application form (SG35B)Guidance on completion of applicationsAdvice for Water Bailiffs (Scottish Government & Association of District Salmon Fishery Boards)Guidance on Deriving Ordnance Survey Grid References of your receiving waterHatchery Work in Support of Salmon Fisheries

hope that will help you out :yes:

Edited by hutchie the white hunter

Hi Andrew, what's good for Carp isn't always good for Trout. When you say Moat what sort of size are you talking about? Moats are usually fairly shallow and heat up quickly which makes them less able to retain any dissolved oxygen in the water. They are also likely to completely freeze in the winter which can trap the fish in water thats oxygen depleted with all the summer weed breaking down. Any shallow water will be more susceptible to fish kills from sudden weed growths or a heavy downpour that can cause a rapid change in Oxygen levels, temp or pH. They'll be nightmare to manage if you are planning on a higher stocking density. Take every opportunity to oxygenate the water, whether its splash boards at your stream inlets, fountains or air pumps in the hot months. Trout become lazy when theres depleted oxygen and if you do hook them the fight will be disappointing and they more then likely will die if returned.

Contact your potential supplier before you stock and take their advice. They will not want to supply you with stock that will go belly up after a week due to poor water conditions.

I'd also be considering the proximity of the local community and public rights of way. Trout are the easiest fish to poach. I used to help manage a Trout cyndicate and the kids used to come up on the BMXs, lob out some very crude lay lines with half a dozen hooks apiece baited with worm or sweetcorn and leave them over night. We got absolutely spanked. If there's nobody about over night expect a caining from the poachers.

Good luck though, its very satisfying when it all goes to plan.

Edited by ack-ack

Hi Andrew, what's good for Carp isn't always good for Trout. When you say Moat what sort of size are you talking about? Moats are usually fairly shallow and heat up quickly which makes them less able to retain any dissolved oxygen in the water. They are also likely to completely freeze in the winter which can trap the fish in water thats oxygen depleted with all the summer weed breaking down. Any shallow water will be more susceptible to fish kills from sudden weed growths or a heavy downpour that can cause a rapid change in Oxygen levels, temp or pH. They'll be nightmare to manage if you are planning on a higher stocking density. Take every opportunity to oxygenate the water, whether its splash boards at your stream inlets, fountains or air pumps in the hot months. Trout become lazy when theres depleted oxygen and if you do hook them the fight will be disappointing and they more then likely will die if returned.

Contact your potential supplier before you stock and take their advice. They will not want to supply you with stock that will go belly up after a week due to poor water conditions.

I'd also be considering the proximity of the local community and public rights of way. Trout are the easiest fish to poach. I used to help manage a Trout cyndicate and the kids used to come up on the BMXs, lob out some very crude lay lines with half a dozen hooks apiece baited with worm or sweetcorn and leave them over night. We got absolutely spanked. If there's nobody about over night expect a caining from the poachers.

Good luck though, its very satisfying when it all goes to plan.

The Moat is a Z shape with the longest part being about 240 feet long, I've been told (but I'll double check) it's deepest point is about 11ft.

One thing that does concern me is the amount of algae in the water (Covers pretty much everything visable at the bottom of the Moat), what's the most common way of controlling it on this sort of level?

The one thing I will say is the fish where just meant to be a tasty replacement for the Old trout, they where not looking at a heavy restocking for fishing purposes.

Many thanks.

The Moat is a Z shape with the longest part being about 240 feet long, I've been told (but I'll double check) it's deepest point is about 11ft.

One thing that does concern me is the amount of algae in the water (Covers pretty much everything visable at the bottom of the Moat), what's the most common way of controlling it on this sort of level?

The one thing I will say is the fish where just meant to be a tasty replacement for the Old trout, they where not looking at a heavy restocking for fishing purposes.

Many thanks.

Its debateable how tasty they will be when they inhabit that sort of water, even from some of the clear water reservoirs they can have a muddy tang to them. It doesnt bother me too much, I just give them a few more herbs and get stuck in.

The water temp at 10ft is fairly constant so they will have some good lies if the surface starts heating up but be vigilant for signs of stress when it warms up. They start cruising really slowly on the surface and lay motionless in the margins with their gills going like billy-o.

Cereal straw cast on the water is great for controlling algae. Good for controlling weedy margins as well. The water will look like a tip for a few days but it soon sinks and deprives the weed / algae of light and as it breaks down the microbes finish of the algae. If you've got a lot of Elodea (canadian pondweed) this can be very effective. It sounds like this water is a fair old size so you'll struggle to get it all from the bank.

Stock a few at first (after sorting your permits to stock) and keep an eye out for floaters or distressed fish. There should be rakes of natural food for them so assuming the waters ok they should grow on nicely. If they're for your own consumption dont tell anybody you've stocked them. Word soon gets about

I'd be really interested to hear how it all goes.

Edited by ack-ack