First Fox with .243.

Norrie

Hiya, just in from an evenings "after dinner" stroll round one of my permissions...I took the Shotgun, as the farmer asked me to "do something about those bloody pigeons"....but also took my new..ish Remmy 700 .243 that I bought from Wabbitbosher last week...long story, but I had borrowed a 30mm tubed scope till my new 25mm rings arrive..and set the gun up at the weekend...I had 4 rounds left out of a box...and loaded the gun up as the pigeons didnt show, cept in a field about 1/2 mile away...:)

Anyway, had a wee walk round the farm, and left the best area till last...walked up the hill, and saw at about 140 yds, a pair of foxes larking about just outside a section of gorse...turns out they were messing around a dead sheep...so, had a shot at the better of the foxes ( angle wise), and down it went....the other stood and looked at me, but was straight on, and I didnt feel confident enough to shoot... so, watched it for a few seconds, hoping it would turn broadside...it didnt, and loped off into the gorse...:)

No pics tho, as I didnt take my fone...:)

So, Thanks to Wabbitbosher for selling a great gun to me...now to get out tomorrow night after the others..there are more than just a pair...seen different foxes over the last few weeks, but didnt have a gun to do the job...now I have , and this weekend, weather dependant, the 17hmr is going for a walk too......:)

well done, don't be shy about performance the .243 with most varmint bullets of 70 grn and above is very capable at most angles it gets the job done. if you didn't feel up to it yet personally with a different fairly unproven gun in your hands well done you for keeping your head and not risking it :good:

Hiya, thanks for that...

Yep, the .243 is a totally new gun to me, still not completely sure of it...I've only shot 17 bullets through it...I had a CZ .222 before that, and put a load of rounds through it..and was usually hitting what i shot at.....but, it took me a wee while to get used to it too...

I was using Privi Ammo..cheap and cheerful, but did the job...set it up at 150 yds...the old .222 was set at 100yds, all different stuff for me...:)

I'm sure I'll get there with the .243.....I love it already...:)

I bought it to go on an invite to cull shoot Reds, but not doing anything like that till at least next year..:)

Hiya, thanks for that...

Yep, the .243 is a totally new gun to me, still not completely sure of it...I've only shot 17 bullets through it...I had a CZ .222 before that, and put a load of rounds through it..and was usually hitting what i shot at.....but, it took me a wee while to get used to it too...

I was using Privi Ammo..cheap and cheerful, but did the job...set it up at 150 yds...the old .222 was set at 100yds, all different stuff for me...:)

I'm sure I'll get there with the .243.....I love it already...:)

I bought it to go on an invite to cull shoot Reds, but not doing anything like that till at least next year..:)

although a fan of .222's myself, remember getting on for twice the bullet weight and shed load more powder can do a lot more terminally. My advice if you want it is drop the privi and get some high quality deer bullets for them reds, nosler part. and the likes and then run 70-75 grn varmint bullets on fox. i used to be sold on the 75grn v-max but can't get them now and recently discoverd 70 grn nosler b/tips realy seem to like my tube and do foxes great. Reds are top end for the .243" and if you don't want exesive blood shot meat on oposite shoulder you need a good bullet that holds together more on the base. normal 100 grn seirra gamekings and pro-hunters and 95 grn nosler b/tips are just fine on small and medium deer though. don't ever fall out with it as a calibre like many do when they don't get the right bullet sorted for the job :good:

although a fan of .222's myself, remember getting on for twice the bullet weight and shed load more powder can do a lot more terminally. My advice if you want it is drop the privi and get some high quality deer bullets for them reds, nosler part. and the likes and then run 70-75 grn varmint bullets on fox. i used to be sold on the 75grn v-max but can't get them now and recently discoverd 70 grn nosler b/tips realy seem to like my tube and do foxes great. Reds are top end for the .243" and if you don't want exesive blood shot meat on oposite shoulder you need a good bullet that holds together more on the base. normal 100 grn seirra gamekings and pro-hunters and 95 grn nosler b/tips are just fine on small and medium deer though. don't ever fall out with it as a calibre like many do when they don't get the right bullet sorted for the job :good:

Hiya, I agree re Privi., but at the time it was all I could get hold of, so, bought them...they were cheap...LOL..:)

The rounds you suggest are totally new to me...I was using 50gr Federals in .222.....I would have held onto the gun, but my FEO wouldnt allow it...:(

I have a shooting buddy who also shoots .243, and we are thinking of reloading between us..it's still only an idea......but for the amount we will use factory will probs do us.

I have yet to go round the different shops, to see what they stock....i.e. Bushwear, FMTC, Glasgow Field Sports...but have taken note of what you suggest, and will certainly give them all a try..:)

To my mind, I dont think I'll get rid of the calibre.,, I aim to spenm

d plenty time getting used to it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply..:)

ATB.

I found the 75gr Hornady hollow point good for fox. It really does hit home hard and breaks up nicely!

I agree with Kent - well done on holding the shot that you weren't sure of. You'll get another go at it and I'm sure that when you do, you'll do it cleanly. As for the dead one - well hit them at the right end with a .243 and that generally puts them on the ground for good. :good:

Hiya, I agree re Privi., but at the time it was all I could get hold of, so, bought them...they were cheap...LOL..:)

The rounds you suggest are totally new to me...I was using 50gr Federals in .222.....I would have held onto the gun, but my FEO wouldnt allow it...:(

I have a shooting buddy who also shoots .243, and we are thinking of reloading between us..it's still only an idea......but for the amount we will use factory will probs do us.

I have yet to go round the different shops, to see what they stock....i.e. Bushwear, FMTC, Glasgow Field Sports...but have taken note of what you suggest, and will certainly give them all a try..:)

To my mind, I dont think I'll get rid of the calibre.,, I aim to spenm

d plenty time getting used to it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply..:)

ATB.

What purpose does that serve public safety? If you had asked for a bigger calibre just for Deer they would have granted both i bet :rolleyes: Been there myself a few weeks back, downright waste of taxpayers money :angry: