Disco 1

RC45

I am handy with a spanner but not a proper mechanic, and I converted a V8 110 from manual to auto using a disco gearbox in a day. The mechanics of it were "relatively" simple, a straight swap really, but if you don't have access to a ramp and the right jacks etc the lifting in & out could be a bit of a swine. You will have to fit a bracket on the engine to hold the kickdown cable, and wire in the cutoff that prevents you starting it in gear, both simple jobs really. The hardest part was bodging the tunnel inside to accomodate the different gearstick configuration (mine is a carpeted plywood work of art) but on a disco to disco swap you would just need to make sure you got the interior bits as well as the 'box and again it should be a straight swap. Good luck.

I did a 3litre capri 30 years ago you have to replace the torque convertor with a clutch and fit a clutch pedal change the propshaft and have a lot of patience and i would say deep pockets plus a spare week

Mark

He's going the other way round Mark so the existing clutch pedal would have to go - much easier. I just siliconed a plate over the hole and swapped the brake pedal to the bigger auto one. Propshaft should be the same, I didn't have to change mine.

Why? Just buy an auto disco?

I spent some time looking for what I wanted. The Disco I purchased was mint, with a genuine 79k and full service history. If I tied myself to an auto, I would still be looking :lol:

Although my purchase did not tick all the boxes, the main ones were FSH, Clean bodywork and subframe and that's what I got.

The optional items were Roof bars, Auto box and Leather. I just couldn't get everything for the money £3k, that was about 18 months ago.

So the to do list is :

Auto conversion, if I can stretch to it.

Leather

Winch bumper front

and a couple of other minor bits!

I have just put a Terrafirma 2" lift on her and it handles better than the standard :) and I just had the cambelt changed at 90k now, although it had been done previously.