Floating Barrel

Theskyfox

Hi all, This is my first proper main post...anyway...to the point.....I got a Brocock Enigma Deluxe Air rifle about a month ago. I noticed that the barrel can be moved left and right by about 5mm either side. Im wondering if its suppost to be like this? Ive emailed the sellers anyway...I dont think its affected the accuracy because im still getting good groupings...however I am curious. Why would you want to have a floating barrel? I noticed on some makes like the Wierauch HW100 they have a support at the front of the gun to prevent it moving. It doesnt seem to make sense I mean if you were out on a shoot you want to know that every shot you make is accurate....

Any input is most welcome.

-Andrew

I spoke to the sellers today (BAR) they said its normal for it to move, and can be tightened with two grub screws at the top. Still, It leaves me wondering why they make an airgun with a floating barrel....its actually meant to be able to move like that, but stays stable in the middle when shooting.

I spoke to the sellers today (BAR) they said its normal for it to move, and can be tightened with two grub screws at the top. Still, It leaves me wondering why they make an airgun with a floating barrel....its actually meant to be able to move like that, but stays stable in the middle when shooting.

The benefit of a floating barrel is that it remains free to vibrate at its NATURAL (and therefore more REPEATABLE) frequency, thus improving consistency. The downside is that they're more prone to knocks in the field which is why you'll find a lot of precharged guns in particular have a brace or bracket of some sort about 3/4 of the way along the barrel. Imagine it a bit like a guitar string: an open string (one not pressed) always gives the same note, whereas you can produce slight changes in the sound when you press a string against a fret by varying the pressure you use or by rocking your finger from side to side.

Just make sure you keep your pinkies away from the barrel when you're shooting (no curling them over the top or other disgusting habits) or you'll lose all the benefits of your floating barrel.

Plus it would be worth going to the trouble of getting someone who knows what to look for giving the gun the once over if you've not had it long just in case something IS loose! Wouldn't you feel a fool if you woke up in a couple of year's time having shot with a droopy barrel (or worse) for all that time for want of a quick onceover?