Sourcing a puppy

scrob

When picking a puppy, is there anything wrong with buying one out of the local paper which has been reared by a family, as opposed to paying top dollar and buying one off a top breeder? I know a lot of dodgy puppy farms advertise in papers, but there are also a lot of genuine people who have litters in their own home and charge a lot less money than buying off a top show dog breeder.

I am on the market for a chocolate lab and a basset hound, both are to be pets living with me and my girlfriend. Can anyone give me some advice here? I don't want to end up buying trouble but I also don't want to pay top dollar for a family pet which won't be shown in the ring or bred from.

Rob

When picking a puppy, is there anything wrong with buying one out of the local paper which has been reared by a family, as opposed to paying top dollar and buying one off a top breeder? I know a lot of dodgy puppy farms advertise in papers, but there are also a lot of genuine people who have litters in their own home and charge a lot less money than buying off a top show dog breeder.

I am on the market for a chocolate lab and a basset hound, both are to be pets living with me and my girlfriend. Can anyone give me some advice here? I don't want to end up buying trouble but I also don't want to pay top dollar for a family pet which won't be shown in the ring or bred from.

Rob

Pups from health tested parents cost more money - simple as - sorry. You can always take a risk and buy from parents who are not health tested. Whilst not a guarantee, it does give you the best chance of having a healthy, well reared puppy.

Even though they are health tested does not mean you have to pay the earth though - do some research and look out breeders who health test. Some breeders will still charge top money for pups from un-health tested parents.

Mike

Nothing wrong with buying from a local paper or internet advert. If you are going to be paying top doller though it might be wise to weigh up the pro's and con's. If you just want pets, there are still the issues with health problems to look out for, just the same as if you were wanting them to work.I know some pet labs that do more activity than one or two of the workers I know, so whether they are to be used as pet or work should make no difference. Can't understand your hints towards show dogs and pet only, especially as you are a duck and pigeon shooter.

Good luck though.

Edited by straightbarrel

Straightbarrel - I have shot duck once in my life and I really only take the odd go at a pigeon or two here and there, don't get me wrong I would love to train the Lab to retrieve but I don't know if it would be possible given the small number of times I get out in a year?

The sole reason for getting these pups is for companionship, I'm not out to show or breed them. I have spoken to a couple of breeders who filled me full of horror stories about buying out of the local rag, so thought I would just ask for a more impartial opinion on here as to puppy acquisition :)