New (old) shotgun safe??

joe1978

Hiya,

I'm looking for a bit of gun cabinet advice please.

My Father-in-law has given me his old custom made shotgun cabinet to help get started shooting. It had been okay'd in my area (Tyne and Wear) years ago when he lived here but I want to make sure it will be acceptable before I fix it to the wall.

It has 2 5-lever BS3261 locks and is definitely at least 2mm steel continuous welded and weighs a ton but the hinges aren't internal and it only has 2 central holes in the back to fasten to a wall, will this be enough or do you need at least 4?

A couple of pics to show what I mean.

6619701047_d3bdbcc09b_z.jpg

Hinges by joett1978, on Flickr

6619706423_f7e0d9583c_z.jpg

Cabinet by joett1978, on Flickr

Thanks loads

Joe

I think 4 bolts is sensible, for the effort required.

I would however check with your FEO, in North Yorkshire I had a home-made cabinet (not as smart as yours) with just two 3 lever mortice locks on and hinges that were 'exposed', though not anywhere near as much as yours.

My FEO was perfectly happy with it for shotguns, however when I applied for FAC he said it wasn't enough, as he felt that a thief with a cordless angle grinder could cut the hinges off or stick a bar in and possibly pull a gun out.

There aren't any actual requirements on the cabinet, they like the British standard no. whatever cabinets, so it is really down to that particular force regarding what they'll accept.

I think they will be OK with it, but I'd check with them

Thanks everyone! I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.

It does seem very very well made so I may as well drill another couple of holes, I'm going to use resin anchors I think to fix it. The wall itself is 18" thick stone but I can't see what size of stone I'd be drilling into, if you know what I mean so better with the chemical fixing.

They come in packs of 5 from screwfix anyway so better safe than sorry!

Thanks again

Joe