Release/rearing Pens

Hi All,just thinking when we restart our syndicate I'm thinking of moving the main release pen to fresh soil,we did move one of our smaller pens to new ground last year and I think thats one of the great things about haras fencing panels you can move them with the minimal of fuss the only thing I did do was put roofing membrane ( the new type thats a woven material )around it,which is about 4 foot tall and then back dig in and back fill to out( its a bit time consuming as you have to stich it to the fencing but it leaves about a 3 foot blind all the way round,we are lucky that I have a couple of builders who are good friend :good: know once upon we used to use galvanized stell sheet around post and wire,but the price of this now (unless you can find somone taking down an old shed and you can get it at the right price)not many DIY shoots can not afford to buy new. So my question is how many people use haras fencing now rather than posts and wire and who moves their pen every year.and what things do you use to save money on making release pens.

post-37374-0-49139500-1325602263.jpg

We have 3 permanent post & mesh release pens located in woodland on our DIY shoot of around 500 acres, for the last 3 seasons we have put 1000 poults down spread amongst the pens.

We built the last pen in the spring of 2011 and each year we do the usual repair jobs to mesh and pop holes etc.

I have a similar concern with permanent pens as each year we have the usual worries with gapes etc. we have considered moving the pen location but theres such a lot of work involved I am not sure we can manage it along with day jobs etc!

Good luck with your shoot! :good:

I have a similar concern with permanent pens as each year we have the usual worries with gapes etc. we have considered moving the pen location but theres such a lot of work involved I am not sure we can manage it along with day jobs etc!

Hi sodylt1.I understand what you're saying I just wondering if other people have moved them on a regular basis and if its made any great changes in disease managment.

Dave. :good:

Edited by gamekeeper1960