.38 ejection problems

station

Hi All,

My .357 magnum underlever Marlin 1894c works well with .38 specials for gallery shooting, but my mates does not seem to like them.

He has ejection problems after cycling the action, but with either re-loaded .357 or new .357 all is OK.

I know the brass is shorter on the .38 round, but they are normally sold to shoot either round.

Has anyone got / had experience with this and if yes, did you find any tweaks that worked ?

Cheers.

This is a common problem. .38 Special shoots fine in .357 revolvers but the cartridge overall length is far more important in a lever action, during the cycling process. Some people find that a .38 with a long bullet seated far out will feed OK (it's nearer to the length of a .357).

I don't own a .357 lever gun myself but several friends use both the Marlin and Rossi carbines. If they have had this problem, the simplest solution is to reload using .357 cases.

Cheers

Andy

Hi All,

My .357 magnum underlever Marlin 1894c works well with .38 specials for gallery shooting, but my mates does not seem to like them.

He has ejection problems after cycling the action, but with either re-loaded .357 or new .357 all is OK.

I know the brass is shorter on the .38 round, but they are normally sold to shoot either round.

Has anyone got / had experience with this and if yes, did you find any tweaks that worked ?

Cheers.

This is a common problem. .38 Special shoots fine in .357 revolvers but the cartridge overall length is far more important in a lever action, during the cycling process. Some people find that a .38 with a long bullet seated far out will feed OK (it's nearer to the length of a .357).

I don't own a .357 lever gun myself but several friends use both the Marlin and Rossi carbines. If they have had this problem, the simplest solution is to reload using .357 cases.

Cheers

Andy

He may end up going down the reload route then.

Thanks for the reply.

I have a Rossi underlever in 38/357 and it will only cycle .357`s, it doesent like .38`s at all no matter what head type is used, yet my mate has the same gun and it will shoot .38`s all day long, strange.

That's exactly my thought as well - strange :hmm:

ATB.

I suppose I could get it to shoot 38`s if I took the time to look indepth at case length/bullet head type but as said, it`s easier to load 357.

Not familiar with the Marlin action, other than it being side eject but just a thought, if it cycles ok has your mate checked for wear on the ejector

Edited by lineshooter

I suppose I could get it to shoot 38`s if I took the time to look indepth at case length/bullet head type but as said, it`s easier to load 357.

Not familiar with the Marlin action, other than it being side eject but just a thought, if it cycles ok has your mate checked for wear on the ejector

I'll see him over the weekend so will have a look -

It's new to him so not sure if he's had it to bits yet.

Cheers for the reply :good: