Strange day!

carpentermark

Went out yesterday for a bit of decoying over OSR before roost shooting later on.

Saw a few, not many, feeding and resting on some rape so set up. Had one shot and missed and that was pretty much it although a Shrew did come into the hide and ran straight over Sams (my spaniel) legs, he just looked at it and did nothing, must have been the cold. Packed up at 2pm and headed for the roost.

on the way had to stop the car and get out to watch a Red Kite, awsome sight.

Got to the roost at 2.45pm ish and made my way into the wood.

Walking through the wood Sam flushed two Woodcock a Hare and a 'White Pheasant' (a first for me).

Got where i wanted to be and settled for the wait, i let Sam hunt around whilst it was quiet so he could keep warm. Whilst looking into some brambles he stopped, and all of a sudden out came a Muntjac and jumped straight over him! i nearly wet myself with of the look on his face!

When the Pigeons eventually started coming in i missed a few then once i got my eye in started hitting them, had a high right and left, i picked the first and sent Sam for the second, he brought it back flapping in his mouth so i took out the Priest to dispatch, took the bird (still flapping) then realised it couldnt be dispatched because it cause it had NO HEAD! (another first).

Then it quietened down a bit so i stood next to a tree waiting when a group of Pigeons landed in a tree close by, i let them land and took a shot, two fell out brill! picked them and carried on waiting. Nothing much happened for the next 15mins so decided to pack in. as i was packing up i heard some noise coming from the tree i'd shot the two out of, looked up and another pigeon dropped out! hahahahhaha three with one shot, another first.

All in all a very strange day!