A novices first stalk.

yds

Picked some more ground up this week well x3 bits actually.

The bit i went on this morning is 525 acres and full of deer.

saw 21 this morning but many bucks or fat does, and poor backstops stopped shooting.

Finally after a couple of unproductive efforts and the farmer ringing me to tell me to "stop larking around and kill some bloody deer", I decided to shoot a mature doe which was safe but to far for a novice to shoot.

I took my rifle and after lasering the deer @ 242m's dailed it into the zeiss's turret, got comfy on my sticks and shot her perfectly through the heart with a 139 privvi. She ran 10 paces and fell dead.

Her 2 followers were shocked and milled around, I now got the client + girlfriend in closer to the young does 90m's he went on to shoot both perfectly through the hearts in minutes. A productive morning and a great first morning out.

Within minutes of the last shot the farmer was on the blower asking how many did he have to skin.

He asked me to drop one in at the neighbours on my way around and that gathered another 55acres up. of adjasent ground.

Liz was so impressed with her morning fancies a go herself now.

Adam had a great morning paid for by liz for his birthday.

x31.jpg

x32.jpg

x3.jpg

Edited by yds

John uses a Sako 75 Finnlight in 6.5x55 :good:

thats correct jase, my estate rifle is a sako 75 finlite 6.5x55 custom mod, optilock rings and a zeiss vari point 3-12x56 scope.

a very nice set up for lending out.

Edited by yds

Do you put a range of different bullet weights through it? Or is it mainly a roe set up?

I have tried them all.

i now use 139gr sp's for roe does and 156gr rn sp's for bucks as they will pass through nettles and grass without deflection and the bucks are usually shot at well under 100m's.

it has shot driven wild boar and been taken on moose hunts all with 156gr.

its a very versitile round.

with 85-120gr bullets its flat shooting.

Edited by yds

• 2 weeks later...