Dog staying close

Hopefully this does not sound too silly question but how do you get a dog to stay close to you when just out and about, i saw two labs at a shoot the other day that were happy just milling about and followed the owner but still did their own thing and i cant remember seeing them on the lead as they didnt need it. They just seemed so chilled out and relaxed and just got on with it without causing any trouble which was great and were lovely dogs.

How do you get your dogs to do this as its not healing as such and not laying down waiting for you which is a command.

Edited by ferguson_tom

'Tis indeed heeling, Tom - just a looser variant of it. Not what one uses in a trial situation but heeling nonetheless. The same command - Heel! - but without the rigid pronouncement - or enforcement.

Then you can teach the "Stay close" command off it whilst out for a leisurely stroll by letting the dogs trail a shortened check cord of 10 - 12 feet. Give it a little tug when they're trying to get further away and repeat "Stay close!" immediately upon doing so. They'll ken it in no time.

MG

Tom - how close were they walking to the owner , i,m trying to do this now with mulitple dogs ie. 3 springers . They all know heel and do it fairly well when on there own .

going for a walk with the 3 of them can be a pain but sometimes cant be helped , often one will wonder up front or hold back.

i was thinking of tieing the slip leads together to try and teach the one on the outside to stay in place , obviously safety first , just part of their training while walking around open paddocks , i know you can get double slips , its a shame you can get triple slips :rolleyes:

Thanks cracker think i will start doing that with her now she gets used to it from a young age :good:

To be honest darren i didnt know who the owner was as they were following a group, hopefully they dont mind me saying but they were the two dogs at the almshoe shoot on sunday, i would love mine to be like this so i didnt have to worry about them all the time and what they are doing.

i was thinking of tieing the slip leads together to try and teach the one on the outside to stay in place , obviously safety first , just part of their training while walking around open paddocks , i know you can get double slips , its a shame you can get triple slips :rolleyes:

Here you go, Darren - the 'coon hunter's best friend:

http://www.pcsoutdoors.com/leathernickelsnapthreedogcoupler-model3cb.aspx

MG

you can buy a normal rope type lead with a clip end, and you can buy either slip ended or clip ended for collars to clip them on

then you can clip on as many as you like or even join a few together to make it as long as you want.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-sets-Brace-Leads-Gundog-Training-/200392642244?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item2ea8550ec4#ht_500wt_969

twin brace set

jan