Lamping Charlie

Grandalf

Last Friday evening.

Perfect evening for lamping - Dark, no moon, light southerly wind and showers holding off to the west.

It will be one of our last drive round trips for this spring due to the height of the crops. Rape is now up your middle and wheat to your knees.

Very large fields in East Anglia. 100 to 150 acres is common - some even bigger. Flat land mostly.

Me on top of landy with rifle and red spotting lamp. My mate driving and on the remote handled 170mm lightforce shooting lamp.

We see a bright pair of eyes across the other side of a 200 acre wheat field. We are right for the wind. Try a squeak or two but that has no result.

Have 'Chinese Parliament' over the intercom and make plan of action.

Decide we must get round the headland onto neighbouring farm - Johnny's.

Slow drive on just red masked fog-lights. Still approaching up wind. Takes us half an hour.

Get in general area. "Slow, slow" from me "and I'll try the red lamp.

"Right" from mate and he goes into crawl mode with the landrover.

"Fox - 300 yards ahead, beyond new duck building", says me.

"Ok, I'll go another 50 yards and stop" from mate.

We stop - engine off - red light - eyes about 200 yards still by new duck building.

"Fox - ten oclock - white light on"

"Right" says mate.

Suddenly a great white flash of light - nothing to do with us - then an enormous BANG close alongside the truck!

"What the **** was that", from both of us.

BANG - again - but this time from above us!

"Aaaaaah..." from 50 unknown voices shouting in unison.

When the red stars appeared above us the penny dropped - Fireworks.

Seemed Farmer Johnny was celebrating the completion of his new 10,000 bird duck building by having a party - in it!

What better way to start a party than a firework show. And what better way to start a firework show than to set off one of those enormous mortar thingies!

Don't know what happened to the fox...

We went home for clean underwear.

:lol: My shooting bud was looking through the scope on the bipod, just waiting for a fox to come in with back stop behind it whilst I squeaked it in. He was just about to pull the trigger when one of the big fireworks went off. We s..t ourselves. You could feel the shockwaves from it through the air.

That's exactly how it was with us.