Newbie fox shooter advice needed pls

Stratts

Hi chaps I have only shot one fox and called that in with a wam call which I'm beginning to think was more luck than judgement coz he came in about 15 mins after I got set up!!

Me and a mate have a few fox that need dealing with on a perm and need advice with the calls to use. We have staked out known areas and runs and seen a couple about but not got em into a position to shoot.

I have a cd off a fella on here with 10 calls on but am not sure if there is a certain time of year to use each call, ie, on heat, fighting, dog calling, etc!

Can anyone advise which they use at what time of year or is it a mixture and/or trial and error (and patience!)

Cheers

This is just me........

I dont call very often if i dont need to now that i use Night vision, however similar ish situation lamping. As much as we may think we sound like a rabbit i doubt we do that much to a fox a lot of the time and a lot of recording come from America and are not the same as UK (they prob boast a lot and run on about god bless America in rabbit talk) Sometimes I have tried 3 or 4 ways to call before getting a reaction and i know good fox men that have the same. Sometimes they will move for a mouse squeek and nothing else and its a brave man or a lier who says he can always call them in!

Why do we call, of course its to bring an out of range fox into our kill zone or perhaps we have cover or a wood and one may be lurking we may not know about and we may just make him show to us.

The Wam is a very good call as far as calls go and if you know the pattern having herd a wounded rabbit it will get you as close as a call can to the real sound. Calling can work well on cubs that have or are being moved onto game by the vixen as she will bring back the odd screamer so they know thats dinner....

Like fishing kit a lot of shooting kit is to catch you and your cash not the Fox or Fish...... stick to the Wam you already have a great call but dont use it unless you have to

Edited by pavman

Ah ok cheers for that mate I've been using the wam for about half hour in short bursts to try and call em into range. We're gonna try the old clock and battery trick across a track where I've seen 2 cross now and see if the timing is consistent :good:

Ah ok cheers for that mate I've been using the wam for about half hour in short bursts to try and call em into range. We're gonna try the old clock and battery trick across a track where I've seen 2 cross now and see if the timing is consistent :good:

use it on a bait and not a trip as deer can trip but they they dont take the bait..... mind if you have Badgers they will

how big is the permission? can you get round in a truck or on foot or do you have a high seat

1000 acres and we've just bought a vitara for driving around it, although we're not used to shooting out of a vehicle yet!

Gonna cut a hole in the roof & take the windows out. Make some shooting rests, etc and hopefully rig up a NV camera & montitor on the dash so we don't need lights coz we have NV on the rifles too :good:

Oh and there is a big badger set right near the crossing spot where I've seen the fox so the clock is a no-go then! I've sat and watched him come to about 15 yards away with my NV before I had to make a noise coz I thought he was gonna run into me, lol!!!