AETEC Vs Hawk

Theskyfox

Hi, Just wanted an opinion from the scope experts out there...

Ive currently got a Simmons AETEC 2.8-10x44 Scope, but what I dont like about it is the fact that theres no paralax adjustment on it and you cant adjust it at the front without damaging it. You do get a beautiful clear picture through it but its the fact its parallaxed for 100 yards that it makes it difficult at close range (you cant get above about 5x mag before it all blurs).

Im looking at a Falcon Merlin 4-14x42 but Im wondering how good this will be. It looks good, its got adjustable parallax but will the 2mm smaller make a big difference? and how clear will it be compared to the AETEC? ive noticed that the aetec is still more expensive to buy (by £9) and I wouldnt want to be downgrading my scope. I'll be using it mainly for hunting but might get into HFT later in the year, and the merlin scope has Mil-dots/tactical reticle.

Any input or feedback would be much appreciated....if the Merlin really does impress then I will part exchange it, but until then im still left wondering....

-Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, Just wanted an opinion from the scope experts out there...

Ive currently got a Simmons AETEC 2.8-10x44 Scope, but what I dont like about it is the fact that theres no paralax adjustment on it and you cant adjust it at the front without damaging it. You do get a beautiful clear picture through it but its the fact its parallaxed for 100 yards that it makes it difficult at close range (you cant get above about 5x mag before it all blurs).

Im looking at a Falcon Merlin 4-14x42 but Im wondering how good this will be. It looks good, its got adjustable parallax but will the 2mm smaller make a big difference? and how clear will it be compared to the AETEC? ive noticed that the aetec is still more expensive to buy (by £9) and I wouldnt want to be downgrading my scope. I'll be using it mainly for hunting but might get into HFT later in the year, and the merlin scope has Mil-dots/tactical reticle.

Any input or feedback would be much appreciated....if the Merlin really does impress then I will part exchange it, but until then im still left wondering....

-Andrew

Andrew, i think you will be impressed with the falcon. it will probably be the next scope i buy and will go on the .223. they are well made and have a good warrenty, although are quite heavy compared to an aetec.

as you are thinking about giving hft a try why not come up to shepreth hft, we shoot every other sunday and the chairman is the southern distributor of falcon scopes. you could have a look at the whole range and compare them to the many other scopes at our club.

i never really rated the aetec for the money they cost and sold mine in weeks, if you could stump up a bit more cash then a bushnell 4200 6-24x40 would an excellent choice. i use one on my hft set up but they are expensive over here, however i could put you in touch with an importer down your way. should be a touch less than £300 but would **** over every scope less than £600 IMO

atb mh