Duck Release

Hi All,

Just a quick one, at what age do any of you out there that rear duck release them? We usually put ours out at 5 1/2 - 6 weeks old but they have grown so much this year that they are starting to peck. They are now just over 4 weeks old and I am considering releasing a few to free up the space a bit more. We have given them more space than usual as it is. They have a pond in the run/stables and plenty of drinkers and feeders.

Any views welcome.

Cheers

Chris

Hi,

I am in the same situation as yourself, I have 300 mallard which are 4 weeks old today and i am considering releasing 100 out onto grass tomorrow to free up some space. There is some smaller ones which I will hold back for another week or two yet.

The weather forecast is not too bad so i am going to take the chance with mine!

They will be fine to put out at 4 weeks if they have started to feather up nicely, keep them in too long and they feather peck their rumps and start to go backwards. It's amazing how they come on once they've got out onto the water. I put 20 out on each pond a week early to snare any foxes that might be about. By the time the main lot go on these 20 are well ahead.

• 1 month later...

Just out of interest which game dealers are you guys using this year? The one I used last year has let me down and am looking for a new taker for our mallard. The pheasants are sorted but need to find a home for the quackers.

We start shooting the little beggars in just over a month :o

Cheers

Chris

• 2 weeks later...