testing new hornet load

firstly let me say quite clearly "this is not an approach i can recomend" especially so to new re-loaders. basically i jumped in somewhat in the deep end here but have already worked up other loads in this rifle with the same Brass, primer and powder using heavier bullets. So here we go having a box of 40 grn Speer soft points knocking about that i wanted to know if they had potential quickly as i am seriously needing a trip to the RFD to stock up. so knocking nine up at the same charge i used with 45grn stuff and setting up a target board at 120 yds (my testing ranges often vary depending on wind and the height of the rushes etc) and facing a full 10mph sidewind i had my doubts i could prove anything at all. But three groups of three rounds were fired downrange requiring almost 2 MOA windage produced 5/8" , 1 1/4" (one round took extra wind :rolleyes: ), 1/4" showed these might have a little potential :yes: working out the average i would not be displeased with that with any gun under the conditions faced.

cant wait to try it under better conditions at longer ranges, the truest test i believe to be at maximum ranges faced with any load in question and i will also chrono them for std deviation (i suspect they will be going some though, most likely topping 3000 fps i suspect) this might even make them faster than Hornady's 35 grn factory load which clock 3050 in my rifle - And shoot groups that look like they have been shot by a partially sighted bloke!

I've done that myself before now. Because the bullet was lighter I can't see a problem with that approach?

It's good to hear they shot well for you. I tried for ages to get hold of the 40's but really struggled and settled for the 45's. I'd put money on it that the 40's are far better suited to the velocity that can be achieved.

Let us know how you get on when you've done a bit more testing. :good:

I've done that myself before now. Because the bullet was lighter I can't see a problem with that approach?

It's good to hear they shot well for you. I tried for ages to get hold of the 40's but really struggled and settled for the 45's. I'd put money on it that the 40's are far better suited to the velocity that can be achieved.

Let us know how you get on when you've done a bit more testing. :good:

Ballistically they are predicted to be poorer at more extended ranges but time and testing will tell. Yeah it should give a lower pressure but i just didn't want some fool following me and having a mishap- its not something i should not do with powders other than lil gun though as i see the real danger with this stuff being too little powder. Lil gun produces very little in the way of chamber pressures in relation to the other alternatives, which has the nice effect of making the brass last longer.

its gonna take some doing to beat what it does with 45 grn seirras though and they are traveling at 2900 fps with an 18 fps Std Deviation, so the 40's will need to be exceptionally stable and or substantially faster one might think to compete :hmm:

• 1 month later...

Ballistically they are predicted to be poorer at more extended ranges but time and testing will tell. Yeah it should give a lower pressure but i just didn't want some fool following me and having a mishap- its not something i should not do with powders other than lil gun though as i see the real danger with this stuff being too little powder. Lil gun produces very little in the way of chamber pressures in relation to the other alternatives, which has the nice effect of making the brass last longer.

its gonna take some doing to beat what it does with 45 grn seirras though and they are traveling at 2900 fps with an 18 fps Std Deviation, so the 40's will need to be exceptionally stable and or substantially faster one might think to compete :hmm:

Thank' for this post.I am always looking for Hornet loads as there a not so many for it. I look forward to any other info on the Hornet.

Regards

Frank