Beam scales - A simple idea

Which scales are generally recommended, digital or these old school tipping scales?

Well - Horses for courses I guess. I have around 25 beam scales and 3 digital scales. I use a beam scale for powder and a digital for weighing bullets and cases.

I don't think you can beat a good reliable beam scale. A good basic scale like an RCBS 502 will very easily show variations of much less than 10th of a grain. It's not too dificult to get them to read to a single kernel of a powder like Varget and do it consistently. It depends a bit on how much care you want to take about your reloading and the accuracy required.

If you are happy with a group of an inch and a half at 100yds with your .308 then dumping the charge from a measure is probably good enough, if you are trying to shoot a .223 at 1000yds at an F-class target with the V bull only 5 inches across then =/- 10th of a grain is not good enough.

Because a digital readout on a scale tells you it's xxx it doesn't mean it really is. Gravity doesn't drift, is not effected by strip lights or mobile phones and will still be working in a hundred years just the same as it is now.

Guest cookoff013

Well - Horses for courses I guess. I have around 25 beam scales and 3 digital scales. I use a beam scale for powder and a digital for weighing bullets and cases.

I don't think you can beat a good reliable beam scale. A good basic scale like an RCBS 502 will very easily show variations of much less than 10th of a grain. It's not too dificult to get them to read to a single kernel of a powder like Varget and do it consistently. It depends a bit on how much care you want to take about your reloading and the accuracy required.

If you are happy with a group of an inch and a half at 100yds with your .308 then dumping the charge from a measure is probably good enough, if you are trying to shoot a .223 at 1000yds at an F-class target with the V bull only 5 inches across then =/- 10th of a grain is not good enough.

Because a digital readout on a scale tells you it's xxx it doesn't mean it really is. Gravity doesn't drift, is not effected by strip lights or mobile phones and will still be working in a hundred years just the same as it is now.

er...

we use digitals at work, they cost about 5-10k a unit. they work just fine. i`ve been using scales like this to measure, .5mg and 1mg ammounts for ages. electronic are better. there is quite a few poor quality units. out there. but you certainly get what you pay for.

another thing to consider, is the end user competent at using a scale. - thats the bigger question.

er...

we use digitals at work, they cost about 5-10k a unit. they work just fine. i`ve been using scales like this to measure, .5mg and 1mg ammounts for ages. electronic are better. there is quite a few poor quality units. out there. but you certainly get what you pay for.

another thing to consider, is the end user competent at using a scale. - thats the bigger question.

Well, yes. The context though is recreational shooting. Why spend £5K when a beam balance will do the same job for 100th of the price and will last longer?

A £50 electronic scale won't allow you to see differences of less than 1/10th of a grain. A £50 beam-balance will.

J.

Well, yes. The context though is recreational shooting. Why spend £5K when a beam balance will do the same job for 100th of the price and will last longer?

A £50 electronic scale won't allow you to see differences of less than 1/10th of a grain. A £50 beam-balance will.

J.

:yes: Saved me some typing J. :good:

Guest cookoff013

J.

no, the context is electronic scales. if a recreational shooter can afford .1mg accuracy he will.

an electronic balance is just that electronic. i bet the professional shooters use lab balances. lab balences have a higher quality and last just as long. beam scale doesnt have that accuracy. ours get serviced every quater. just to ensure the quality.

the cheap balances are just that, cheap. they do the job that they are designed for.

i`m kinda tired of people saying "electronic ballences are ****, my beam scale is the best thing ever". when all they have seen are the poorest quality scales out their. i`ve been using super accurate ballences at work for nearly 20years. there is a world of difference between weighing 1grain accurately, and weighing 1mg accurately.

another question does the recreational shooter need to measure .1mg ? no not really.

it is a fact, that rubbish electronic scales are rubbish. and a good set of electronics are good.

its just simple, you get what you pay for.

beam scales are very 1940`s i`m not saying they dont work.

at the end of the day, accuracy cost money.

no, the context is electronic scales. if a recreational shooter can afford .1mg accuracy he will.

I have both digital and mechanical lab balances. If a good reloading beam scale can reliably and repeatably detect the difference of a single kernel of a powder like Varget (around 5 kernels to 10th grain) There really isn't any advantage in having a scale that reads any finer than this because no matter how much trouble you want to take over weighing the powder you would need to cut a single kernel in half to get a more accurate weight.

Guest cookoff013

I have both digital and mechanical lab balances. If a good reloading beam scale can reliably and repeatably detect the difference of a single kernel of a powder like Varget (around 5 kernels to 10th grain) There really isn't any advantage in having a scale that reads any finer than this because no matter how much trouble you want to take over weighing the powder you would need to cut a single kernel in half to get a more accurate weight.

there are finer powders than varget,

http://www.sciencelab.com/page/S/PVAR/21750/40-71000

lab beam scale accurate to .1g thats 100mg

100mg = 1.54 grains

http://www.sciencelab.com/page/S/PVAR/21716/40-VP64CN

accurate to .1mg

0.1mg =0.00154 grains

they have completely different -price tags and different accuracy.

i`ve used anaytical ballences for years. weighing 1mg quantities. there is a world of difference.

unfortunately accuracy costs money.