what cartridges to buy

hi there , i have just got my shotgun cert and the farmer is letting me try out a gun he may be selling, i dont want t use his cartridges and was wondering what everyone else uses. i used his shells the last time i went out with it and they were 32gr express no6 70mm , what do you recommend and how much can i expect to pay.

Cheers

Peter

Depends on how may you buy... £5-6 a box £50 a slab £180 a thousand ish http://www.justcartridges.com/cartridge_pricelists.html is a good rough guide, get down to local RFD get chatting and ask for the best price on a slab of 6's for clays 7.5 28g is most common although 21-28g available in sizes 9-7 for most clay disciplines. 32g of 6 is more than many use on pigeon but good for most quarry at suitable range (except geese etc)

29g Hull superfast are a good deal at the moment. IF the gun is a semi go for 70mm carts rather than 65/67mm

Edited by HDAV

hello again mate, the gun is a laurona o/u, realy nice condition and the stock is straight and as im a lefty its comfy to shoot, i tried the clays and will buy diffrent carts for that but for hunting etc do i just look for the best deal at the time or do i pick a brand and weight /gr and stick with that .i did notice nthe 32gr had a lot more grunt than the clay carts :good:

Each to their own and all that but ive found Gamebore Clear pigeon 32g 6s fibre to be an outstanding cartridge with plenty of stopping power for pigeons, rabbits, crows, rooks, pheasant and partridge.

I shoot really well with them so wont buy anything else and at £55 per 250 theyre not bad on the pocket either.

hi , i did look at the them but i have read that the fibre wad performs less than the plastic wad , i cannot comment if this is true or not as i have no experience ,but it mentioned the spread i think , what is the recoil like on these , i would happily try anything.

Peter

hi , i did look at the them but i have read that the fibre wad performs less than the plastic wad , i cannot comment if this is true or not as i have no experience ,but it mentioned the spread i think , what is the recoil like on these , i would happily try anything.

Peter

They kill anything they hit mate honest, pigeons shot at 40yds centre pattern are dead before theyve hit the floor so i wouldnt concern yourself with performance 'ratings'.

They are a very hard hitting cartridge and therefore give a fair old kick if im honest.

IF your shooting over farm land most farmers prefer you use fibre, plastic litters and can cause issues with grazing animals getting stuck in the stomach etc. While most people have a preferred brand many also buy what is cheapest for pigeon etc just by what your local dealer has 30g+ size 6 in fibre and see how you go. Some dealers will do a slab at the 1000 rate.