Today's outing.

Bleeh

Well, today I broke all the rules. I set up without a hide (hiding behind a some old farm roller), I was shooting into the wind, and I didn't use any sort of formation with the decoys so to speak of.

In all fairness I'd of set up with a hide, with the wind to my back, but as only the wrong half of the field had been harvested, I didn't have much options (and this farmer LOVES ditches)

Anyways, I shot near enough 70 over barley stubble with some frankly awful shooting, but I got there in the end.

Now the interesting thing about today was how well hiding behind this roller worked. I had to kneel down as far as I could go for most of the day and my legs ached but as the pigeons where so totally used to it they would get within silly range of it and take no notice of my back/hat on the other side as long as I didn't move. The closest landed about 5' away on the fields edge - I think in the future I might look at using more green clothing/natural cover options in lieu of hides.

The other funny thing was how well shooting into the wind worked, now frankly it was a pain a times - I had plenty of birds flying over my head and plently landing in stranges ways (and if I have had the wind to my back, I'm sure my day would of been 100+) but It wasn't the end of the world like I was always told it would be. I spent half the morning wondering if I should try and decoy an area where the birds where but the wind was wrong, or where the wind was right but there birds weren't - and it looks like the former played out well. - I ended the day about 15:30 when the birds where starting to move again into a new part of the field in a flock of about 100, but I thought I'd leave them and try again Monday after work.

Anyone had any similar experiences?

- Also, not to self. When meeting the farmers wife don't assume she'll have nothing to do with the farm, always asked her the question you wanted to ask him, and if she doesn't know ask where her husband is, she got in a bit of a huff about that but I managed to win her back chatting about local history (Thanks for the lessons, Ben)

Edited by Bleeh