Advice needed

kxkirk

Hi guys I really need your help and advice, Im sorry if this has already been covered in a previous topic. I recently was given a 3 year old male springer spaniel, he is a great dog does most of the easy stuff well and he will sit while I throw the dummy and wait for my command to retrieve it. The problems start when we get into the pigeon hide, while sat there he gets impatient starts whining, then as soon as the gun goes off he sets off he doesn`t wait for the command etc this usually means that in his haste to find the bird even if I miss which is often :-) he knocks over the hide and scares any birds coming into the pattern. Im hoping that we can sort this out so any words of advice any books or dvds recommended would be a great help. In a short time he has become part of the family.

sounds like insufficient training prior to going into field for real. Back to start and correct all the little bits that hadn't quite gone home. Most importantly when you do back in the field don't let it retrieve anything from the hide 1st visit and only one or two the next, build up slowly- it should be a privillage not an expectation every time the gun goes bang.

My 11 month old gets to sit by my side and hear the gun go off regular- shooting at nothing at all!