Another what rifle question

ace_of_hearts

Unfortunately my recent rifle purchase has fallen through so I am unsure what to go for now, as I chose that one as it was a good deal.

I am looking for a springer for hunting and plinking. And have upped my budget to around £300 but less if possible.

There is a lovely new HW95k locally for £300 which is very tempting, but they also have a s/h HW99s for £185. I have also seen good reviews for the Hatsan 85x and that can be had new for £150.

Such a dilemma as I don't have my heart set on anything, but want something I can keep for years and be proud of. What would you get?

Also if anybody can find any suggestions local to Bedford (50 miles) that would be great, as I really want to by face to face.

Thanks I have spotted some nice hw80's and a hw85 that I will try and look a tomorrow. What do you think of this?

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Air-Rifles/Weihrauch-HW-85-gun-for-sale-gs81123.aspx

You will never lose much if you resell later but I think there are 80 's with scopes in good condition out there for as little as £ 220 . I paid 270 for a mint 97k with scope and sling in the summer . I think if your patient A gem of a gun for the right money will arrive.

You will never lose much if you resell later but I think there are 80 's with scopes in good condition out there for as little as £ 220 . I paid 270 for a mint 97k with scope and sling in the summer . I think if your patient A gem of a gun for the right money will arrive.

Also have a look on the weirhrauch owners forum .

Also have a look on the weirhrauch owners forum .

HW95, superb break barrel.

Hatsans are funny beasts, some are sold for double the price as Webleys (The 55 and 60S, at your budget it is possible to get the rare Stutley Gas Ram conversion as well). They are not a rifle that will become an heirloom, there are loads around, their low price leads to them not being looked after by many owners, hence the reputation they can garner for being unreliable, I have owned 3 Hatsan rifles (a 60S, an AT44 and my current a 60S Gas Ram), the 60S is a great rifle and is at a great price, not the most fantastic, the trigger though good is not up to the Rekord, but hell you are comparing a sub £100 to a £300 rifle!

Well today I blew the budget and bought a brand new HW95. I thought I'd be better spending the money now and getting a great rifle as a keeper rather than buying cheap and buying twice. I have only had a quick plink in the garden but it is lovely and smooth and a good step up from the BSA. Very happy man :)

Great, the 95 has the reputation of being the Carlsberg of break barrels, superbly accurate and they have started finishing them a little better now (was a point when they were graunchy and not very reliable believe it or not). The new stock being Ambidextrous has opened the selling market up to those of either hand, not that you are interested in that of course).

Accuracy wise, can put 10 shots into a sub 10p sized hole at 25 metres, easily (and that is with a marksman of my abilities, ie not the worst but by no means the best). The action is remarkably quiet too, especially for a spring powered!