Ferreting last saturday

Ferretboy111

Went ferreting last saturday, managed to bag 7 total and known of a couple more that were killed underground.

Trouble was that the soil was sand so it wasnt easy to find the tunnels with the probe so couldnt get many of the rabbit's in stop ends.

Overall it was an ok day, lovely permission however full of holes which all needed to be ferreted, 9/10 not giving anything out.

It was as if someone had shot a shotgun on the ground of the wood and every BB was a rabbit hole. :lol:

Going again in a couple of weeks, didnt manage to do all the holes, but managed to try out a few more of my newer ferrets.

:good:

Alex

Oh ok, ill tell you what i do, when you lose a ferret underground, you track it and find its position. Using the probe which is a long piece of steel that looks like a 'T' i push down gently into the soil untill i feel it give, which means ive located the tunnel, i then dig down to the ferret and pull out the rabbit and it. :good:

Its really easy to find the tunnels in clay soil because you can feel it give, but in sand it feels like it gives constantly, there was times when i felt it give, dug down and its a certain layer of soil turning into another.

Hope this helps if you didnt already know what its used for.

:lol:

Thanks FB. :yes:

No, i did not know what it was used for.

I have in the past, ferreted without a locator, 10 years ago, but got a MK 3 for the first time this year, so this will be my first time to locate and dig for any ferret i have that stays down for too long.

I use to wait for them before to come out, getting too old for hanging about in the cold for that crack, so have got the locator this time round. :lol:

So far so good, the MK 3 seems to be locating, but i have yet to dig for a ferret. I have dug a few times before with a mates terries, where he was using a MK 1 locator, but that was a different ball game altogether, very deep sometimes and bloody hard work. :lol::lol:

Cheers,

Frank.

I started off without a probe, with a locator. It was a job, dig 2 foot or so and the tunnel could be 2 inches to the left of the hole id dug, now using this 4-5 foot probe, i just find the tunnel and dig away.

Definately best to make one up! Especially once your hob gets older, they are the ones that stay with rabbits underground, dead or alive, well usually, saying that one of my albino jill's killed a rabbit underground on saturday and staying with it.

:yes:

I love working hobs, especially to a gun as they dont muck up the purse nets then. I like digging down to the tunnels and pulling out 4+ rabbits from a stop end. :yes:

My polecat jill was mucking about last sat, she slipped through the nets perfectly but she just was so excited she would run through the tunnels and out the hole and dance and go mental, take another year i reckon with her for her to take it seriously. :lol: Not that i mind really as long as she enjoys herself.

Going to try my kits from this year in 2 weeks or so i reckon, still polishing off the kits from last year as yet.

Alex

I love working hobs, especially to a gun as they dont muck up the purse nets then. I like digging down to the tunnels and pulling out 4+ rabbits from a stop end. :lol:

Going to try my kits from this year in 2 weeks or so i reckon, still polishing off the kits from last year as yet.

Alex

:D That sounds like what my hob will be like i reckon. :D

He is working great so far, but as you said, he does pull or manage to get tangled in the nets :lol::yes::D

He is a charatcer though. :)

Good luck with your kits Alex. :lol:

Frank.