Ferrets - To Spay or not to Spay

Guest HandleBar

Guest HandleBar

Ok bit of advice please from the gathered mass, I have two Jill's that are about 4/5 months old and I wondered what peoples advice was on spaying them. My other thinking was about getting a vasectomised hob that can be kept to do the deed without the appearance of babies! That would then need be to obtain another ferret but this is a problem as I have a spare hutch and 3 ferrets is not really any more money then two ferrets.

Any advice grateful

Sadly the vasectomy can sometimes be unsuccesful and the only way you will find that out is the obvious appearance of several kits!

Speak to your vet and see what they say but spaying has it's own hazards but the more serious are anaesthetic (ferrets not really good with this due to size)and secondary infection after the op.

This however should not put you off but there are alternatives such as the jill jab and the long term hormone rod.

Just so you are aware I ended up with 17 unwanted kits this year and still have 3 left they are not easy to home anymore and your doing the right thing either way, well done a shame more people arn't as thoughtful.

Hope this helps

I rely on jill jabs. The vet said bring them in when the clocks go on in the spring before any of them show signs of heat. Treating them once they're on heat doesn't work, she says, they will come on again later in the summer. I've been doing this and, touch wood, she's right. One jab given early does keep them out of heat.

There is an increased risk of spayed female ferrets suffering from an increase in steroid hormones (HAC/'Cushings disease') so many no longer recommend it.

A vasectomy should be 100% successful! These small furies do have an increased anaesthetic risk, but it has never been safer.

The 'Jill Jabs' have got a whole lot more expensive. Once a bottle is opened it needs to be used up the same day. The drug cost has gone from ~£4.50 for 1ml to £88.50 for the full bottle! We used to do a handful per year but it is no longer economically viable.

There is an implant that can be used and lasts many years (possibly the life of the ferret) but that is also expensive and needs a sedative/anaesthetic to implant it. That does last for life.

Thank you for all the feedback - now I'm even more confused as which to go for :lookaround: I think I will go for the hob option if I can find one but failing that the Jill jabs

If you haven't had them long and haven't worked them yet you could just get them jabbed in the spring. See how you get on with them first, give them a chance to prove themslves working and you may want to breed from them in a couple of years. Can't do that if they're spayed. I wonder if its worth having a hoblet for two jills, you could just jab them.