new to shotguns

vampire

Hi all,i finally managed to get my brother to come pigeon shooting today (on the promise i fix his boiler),he has only ever shot an air gun before,so this would be his first time shooting with a 12 guage.

The farm has be drilling this week,desperate to get the last lot in before its to late,they have struggled with it being so wet,so we had another 3 fields fresh drilled earlier in the week to go on.

On getting to the farm we had a short recy to see what they were upto,still feeding on last weeks drill and the new fields,loads in the trees,infact there were more birds then i have seen in the last two years put togther,so hopes were high for him to have some good shots.

We set up on a new drill field by 10.30 having watched where they were feeding and all ready knowing the flight lines,i put out my favoured long pattern with a kill zone in the middle just to the left of the hide and the rotary off to one side well past the back of the pattern.

I had hardly finished doing a safety talk etc and birds came in,dropped one at the top of the pattern and carried on showing bruv how to load,swing through and lead etc and another group came in,i dropped another and gave the gun to him.

His first shot was easy,a couple came kiting straight into the gap and he has his first pigeon 20 yrds out,more talks about presenting the gun and loading quick and about keeping still.

More fly high over our heads and some swing back wings folded.........wait.......bang and he has another,a few more shots and he is well behind them,doubling his lead and he is back in and has a lovely shot up the field that i would have been proud to have claimed.

We packed up about half one,with him getting 11 picked and 2 in the neighbours field and a couple that you just dont know how they keep fying,all for about 40 shots total of 32s 6 and some 28s 7 1/2s.

Very pleased and a good short session for a complete novice i thought he did really well.

Oh and the boiler needs a new pressure vessel and an auto air valve,so i may be able to get him out in the field again, :D