Tikka T3 Hunter .308

david_r

Hi,

Looking for a .308. My basic requirements are:

- Left handed action

- Wooden stock, I just have an irrational dislike of synthetic stocks

- Would prefer a heavy barrel, but not a show stopper

Looking around and the Tikka T3 Hunter seems to be the closest fit within budget c. £1k

Anybody have any experience and feedback regarding this rifle??

My other option I guess; I have a left handed RWS Titan T3 in .223. I believe I can get a new barrel fitted to this. Any idea of the cost of converting this to .308?? Would rather leave this as .223 though if I can.

Any feedback on the T3 Hunter would be much appreciated. Equally any sugggestions for other rifles that meet the basic requirements above!

Thanks,

Dave.

Nothing wrong with a T3 but there are other options. I was in your position recently and ended up with a S/H but mint m595 with 6 X 42 Meopta for £850. Its a better rifle than a T3 IMHO, but finding a left hooker will be your problem with S/H. Also look for a S/H Sako 75 Varmint. I wanted one but the 595 came up first. They can be had well within budget and they are stunners. The new 85s are 20" barrels and aren't half the gun the 75s were.

How are you with laminate? A Howa 1500 is well worth a look if you're into laminates and the Howa stock is quite a pretty example, far nicer than the Remington VLS which looks like orange plywood, and the rifles shoot exremely well. You can get a walnut blued varmint Howa but I haven't seen one to judge it. Or there's a CZ 550 varmint. 26" heavy barrel and decent walnut stock. That was on my short list too until the Tikka came along. I have to say though the trigger on the ones I looked at were no better than CZ rimfires and would have needed fettling for me. The T3 trigger is miles better.

I think if you get a varmint in .308, then depending what you plan to do with it you get a more versatile rifle from a longer barrel, particularly if you reload. I think the T3 Varmint is only 20". I would want 24". Others will say there's no need nowadays with fast powders, but its just a thing I have about barrel length.