Grant of FAC

Shoot-rhino

Yeah its a bit "loose" in terms of enforcement!

It would be easy enough to say that the mrs is an accomplished vermin controller with a sub 12ftlb air rifle............

It's a complete joke, as you say just about anyone can say they fit the requirement - they needn't even shoot, they may be accomplished at trapping and poisoning rats! Nothing on the certificate says that wouldn't suffice.

It's all either backside covering or being a deliberate PITA, as even when they require the mentor to hold a FAC there is nothing physically stopping someone for taking a gun and using it unsupervised - the FLD can't follow you round and make sure your actually being a good boy, they appear to have it so that if something goes wrong they can say 'well we required him to be with an experienced/accomplished etc vermin controller, not our fault someone ended up getting shot'. Or they like to make up silly conditions for the fun if it, I wouldn't rule that out.

It's a complete joke, as you say just about anyone can say they fit the requirement - they needn't even shoot, they may be accomplished at trapping and poisoning rats! Nothing on the certificate says that wouldn't suffice.

It's all either backside covering or being a deliberate PITA, as even when they require the mentor to hold a FAC there is nothing physically stopping someone for taking a gun and using it unsupervised - the FLD can't follow you round and make sure your actually being a good boy, they appear to have it so that if something goes wrong they can say 'well we required him to be with an experienced/accomplished etc vermin controller, not our fault someone ended up getting shot'. Or they like to make up silly conditions for the fun if it, I wouldn't rule that out.

I wonder what the definition for "accomplished" would be?

Edited by grimey121uk

I was under the impression that ALL tickets were open in Scotland, they do not have a closed version... that's just England & Wales!

Yes it's a bit like North Yorks. A large area with may firearms spread out over sizeable distances.

I can see in some parts there *may* be a benefit to closed conditions (we have relatives in Suffolk and don't recall seeing a hill) but in the highlands of Scotland, Yorkshire dales/moors the bullet will hit something quickly! The landscape is intrinsically safer, with lower population density.

Never seen a mentor condition on a rimfire cert. Had you not been out with someone and got some experience first. A chap local to me just got his ticket for .22RF and .17HMR and wanted to use me as a reference. I said no problem but we must go out and do some shooting first. Gave me something sensible to write on the referee form, having personally witnessed him shoot.

If you have a good reason for any firearm then they cannot refuse you. No reason you can't have a .375H&H on a first grant. If they refuse take them to court and win.

• 3 weeks later...

Evening lads, first grant of both SGC and FAC landed on the doorstep today! :yahoo:

Absolutely over the moon and I thought I'd add my input to the Scottish open certificate discussion. My certificate states:

"5. The undernoted firearms and ammunition including expanding ammunition or missiles of such ammunition to which this certificate relates shall be used for the purposes specified, including zeroing, namely:- .22IN BRNO RIMFIRE RIFLE-B/ACTION, Serial No. _______ and the .22INN PARKER HALE SOUND MODERATOR (RR) for shooting vermin on land over which the holder has permission to shoot with that class of firearm from the person by whom shooting rights are owned or from whom they may be leased or otherwise obtained.

6. The undernoted firearms and ammunition including expanding ammunition or missiles of such ammunition to which this certificate relates shall be used for the purposes specified, including zeroing, namely:- .243IN TIKKA RIFLE-BOLT ACTION, Serial No. _______ for shooting deer and vermin on land over which the holder has permission to shoot with that class of firearm from the person by whom shooting rights are owned or from whom they may be leased or otherwise obtained."

I assume this is open, could someone clarify?

Big thanks to Strathclyde Police :good:

Hi Ross,

I sent my application away on the 30th of October but one of my referees only sent his part on the 20th of November so I suppose you could count that as my start date. My home interview was 4 weeks later and certificate arrived 4 weeks after that so 8 weeks start to finish.

I've no idea why yours has taken so long, it was actually Lanark firearms department that done the legwork for my application I think and they are spot on!

Good luck with your application, cheers