Using my Remington 1858 in anger for the first time

Livefast123

Ok, so the Remington 1858 is going to be used in anger for the first time this weekend and I was after some advice on loads. I've got the following :-

777 FFFG propellant (non negotiable due to Mrs!)

Felt wads

No 11 percussion caps

.454 balls

Now I was going to start with 20 grains (volume) of 777 which would be covered with the felt wad then I would seat the ball. My question is what is the best lube to put over the top of the ball with 777 as there seems to be loads of varied answers on the internet..........

dscf3001za.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Livefast123

You dont need any aditional lubricant-lead is a natural lubricant.

The only reason people use lard for example is to prevent a chainfire,but since you're using wads you really dont need it. Infact,all the lard or Wonderlube or axel/waterpump grease does is create a heck load of mess everywhere. The only part i would smear with a bit of grease is the pin which goes through the cylinder into the frame because after you've shot the pistol 12 times you'll struggle to push it backwards to remove the cylinder due to so much muck on it.

A nice accurate load in my Uberti 44 is 24 grains of BP,a wad and a home cast .454 ball. For pure theatrics 35 grains of BP creates a 2ft ball of flame from the barrel.

Great, that will save faffing about putting lube over the cylinders!

I would have gone with BP but the Mrs objects to the smell of cleaning, the fact that she considers it "gunpowder" and I don't have enough space for another box. Apparently 22 grains of 777 is good in 44's but i'll be starting at 20 and moving from there.

Hopefully I can get some good video :good:

If you are still intrested in using BP,but dont want a whopping great big storage box-make one so it suits your requirements...i did. Mine is divided into two compartments (each container of BP has to be segregated from the other).

When i applied for the explosives cert i asked my FEO if i could make one instead because those ones for sale are designed for re-enactment groups who will go through 10kgs of BP a day while me with one solitary pistol will make do with 1kg a year. I made mine from 19mm MDF,glued/pinned 3 sides and left the fourth side just pinned (so in the event of a house fire that side would pop out and it wont explode). Attach the hinges for the lid on the outside,a small hasp and padlock for security,a lick of paint to further fire proof it and put a explosive sticker on top.

Have fun with the pistol and do come back and say how you got on. I might take mine out this weekend too!