First time gun dog training pups

gunsafe

Hi all, I recently purchased two expensive lab puppies from Ireland to train as Gundogs, but to ultimately feild trial etc.

Thought I would tell you how I am getting on and stimulate some good advice where I may be going right or wrong.

I also have two 5 year old black labs who are the best shooting companions, one dog one bitch. The bitch is a FTW, the Leadburn dog is exceptionally well bred and has just sired the bitch, pups due mid feb, can't wait.

Anyway the pups I bought, the yellow dog is 5.5 months and the black bitch is 6.5 months, however I have been basic training and both are about level stage now.

At 12 weeks in playtime both responded quickly to sitting on command. Within two weeks they were both taking the lead first trailing it around their neck and Led round. For the next 4 weeks I threw various items around and allowed them to pick up and carry them using the good dog treatment. This was fun time only but they did on their own inituative bring the items to me.

Clearly I did not want to start any retrieving that early so continued daily as playtime and concentrated on

the sitting, stay at sit, and lead.

I continued this in stages at 18 weeks had them sitting on command, and staying to sit until reasonably steady until i returned to them 4 times out of five, the fifth time we tried the recal, finishing each time with the lead training, when reasonably accomplished I incorporated the whistle quick pips to recall and long pip to drop and sit, this is the latest truing along with just started walking to heel which is also going well.

At 22 weeks they now walk reasonably to heel on lead, sit, stay and recall to both command and whistle.

They both have been off lead at heel but still a little forward movement not on lead, but slowly slowly catch a monkey as they say, at their current age I now need further advice what next, do I start basic retrieves or just continue to firm up where I have got too?

They are both very happy and taking to the training extremely well, don't want to over do it too early so would appreciate any next steps advice insane order that wool be correct??

It would help if I understood at what ages to get more serious, when to start retreiving, getting used to the bang of a starter gun perhaps and when to start water training etc, what would be the best phases going forward and at what ages.

I am new to this 56 years old and have two enthusiastic twin boys of 30 years we all shoot regular, game and clays and as a team ultimately want to expand our kennels and field trial ability, long term produce our own trained dogs and further breed.

Nice sharing with you all your advice would be extremely welcome, happy new year to you all!

Cheers

If you're looking to trial you need to be getting involved with the local gundog clubs, many run group training as well as holding working tests through the summer. I've found group training a great help in working out where i am with dogs. I see working tests as a further proofing tool for training.

I've currently got an 8 month bitch (I think you enquired when I advertised the litter) which will do everything yours do having only been started with in the last 2 months. She's also steady to a thrown dummy, will do seek back retrieves & some very easy blinds. Her delivery isn't anything flash at the moment & she is still a bit picky on which type of dummy she likes. She actually carries a rabbit better than a dummy!

How are your irish dogs bred?

Perce

Thanks for you post

Good to hear from you, enquired about a lot of pups, were yours the yellow ones??

I bought a direct Copperbirch yellow dog and a direct Apache Joe black bitch. Very handsome full of hunting, dog keener than the bitch and quick reactions when commanded, bitch a bit slower to instruction and a bit fidgety but very pleased with my first attempts to train.

Was I wrong to start basic training from 14 weeks? Was this too early? I was advised to start basic training as part of playtime, not too seroius, both my pups took to it really well.

You must be pleased with yours doing blinds and back Retrieves etc. At 8 months.

Am I ok to start retrieves now from 6 months ish? How should I start and for how long etc.

I have joined Suffolk gun dog and Norfolk gun dog clubs late last year but have not participated at this stage I must contact and see what's happening that I could get involved with.

Any advice on next steps, stages etc from any of you guys as mentioned in my previous post would be very welcome.