New Beretta question

neil

I went a bit mad yesterday and brought a new silver pigeon,lovely gun ect ect but when i got it home and put a few rounds through it i found it very hard to close whith cartriges in the chambers.On closer inspection i found that the bottem cartridge is rubbing in the face of the action and is actually shaving little bits of case off which are collecting in the bottom firing pin hole.I've never had a brand new gun before so i'm not sure about this any ideas?Think i might give the gunshop a ring tomorrow just to find out.

neil, nice gun, I have owned several Berettas and I do like them very much.

Might even buy their 20 gauge,only I,m not sure wether to get an O/U or semi auto.

The "tight" problem seems a bit strange.

Its not the cartridges ,is it ?

Some of the cheaper (sorry,not being rude) cartridges don,t always fit that well, but older guns "forgive" them.

Its certainly worth mentioning to the gunshop.

If you take it to show them, don,t forget to take a few of the cartridges as well.

Let us know how you get on.

Neil,

I had a similar problem with a new Browning O/U. You could see rub marks on the action although it didn't shave brass as you have found but it still made the action 'tight'. This was not due to the gun being new as it had a 'smooth' tightness when closed without cartridges. I was using Hull at the time so switched to another make that I cannot remember now, probably Winchesters. After a short while the gun loosened up and I never saw the problem again even when using Hulls.

It could be down to a batch problem at the cartridge manufacturers. I have had boxes of my normal loads that appeared to have slight swelling that made them a tight fit on the diameter to the point that they would not eject.

I,ve been on to the gunshop and its apparently nothing to worry about and will stop after a bit of use,he said that it was quite common to see new Berettas on there first service with a few shavings inside and some cartriges are worse than others so i'll try a few different brands and see what happens.Funny you should say that about cartridges being tight in the chambers as i brought a batch of 30gr pigeon specials a while back that did the same thing(sticking half out of the chambers when you opened the gun)but i'm fairly sure i finished those off a while back.

Just an update on my Beretta problem,I went out decoying crows over stubble with it yesterday and it seemed to more or less sort itself out i kept a bit of an eye on it and didnt see any shavings rubbing off perhaps it just needed a bit of bedding in,i just need to get used to shooting with it now i nearly took it straight back to the gunshop after the first shot i missed a 30yd rabbit sitter but started to get used to it slowley and endid up with 15 crows/rooks.I missed some very easy ones but hit a few pretty good ones aswell so all in all i think i'll get on ok with it.

This is a classic example of where clay pigeon shooting can help. :)

Get down to your nearest Clay Shoot and shoot a round of clays.

If you miss them all ,its not important....... unlikely,...... but not important.

You will learn more about the "gun feel" this way. I,d rather miss a clay than a pigeon or rabbit. :)