Revo Semi Auto

I recently bought a revo semi auto shotgun and have put around 25, 29 gram no6 game bore velocity cartridges through it and sometimes it doesn't fire. once I pull back the bolt it shoots fine. it seems that it doesn't release the spent cartridge. Any ideas would be welcome.. The sportsman gun centre in Newport advised to run about a 100, 32 gram cartridges through it.. Thank you for hopefully shedding some light on my query..

It sounds like there is not enough oomph to recock the bolt. If the gun is new then it will need bedding in. Did you take it apart and clean it before you started using it (assuming it is new). New guns often have a layer of protective grease (to give a simple name) put on the working parts to protect them during transit so it may be a simple case of taking it apart and cleaning the crud off. Even with second hand guns it is worth the effort of cleaning it before you start to use it. Then you know it is clean. There's nowt worse for clogging up a gun than accumulated gunk. I clean my guns after every outing as everyone should. A light coating of quality gun oil will keep it in working order for years. Don't swamp the mechanism though as it can trickle down and into the wood of the stock and cause it to swell and go soggy.

Try a different brand of cartridge through it. It may be more cart fussy than you have been told. It could be that 29grm carts don't give it enough kick to cycle the cart so try some 30grm or 32 grm carts of a different make. Hull compx don't always cycle well through my semi auto so I changed to Lyvale express which do cycle correctly. I found that the Hull carts tended to stick because the rim on the cart was slightly bigger. No probs now though. Check that you have the correct length cart in the gun.

When you take the bolt mechanism out for cleaning, check that the firing pin is OK. If the gun is new there should not be a problem but you never know. Make sure that it is sliding smoothly in the bolt. It could be due to some grease clogging up the hole. Also make sure the gas slide slips up and down freely over the mag. It may be muck in the tube. One other thing to try is to make sure the holes in the barrel that allow the gas into the slide are clear. I use a pipe cleaner to clean them out. It's surprising how gunk gets stuck in the holes.

You say that the cart is not being ejected correctly. This could be due to worn or sticking ejector claws. Check they move easily and are not rounded over. Once again, if the gun is new this shouldn't be a problem but there may be some protective grease in the channels where they sit. Check this and clean as a matter of course.

If all else fails, take it back to the shop. I hope this helps.

• 6 months later...

If you take it apart for cleaning then only put the merest film of oil on the firing pin. Too much oil can slow the pin down, especially if it is thick oil.

Some semi's, Benelli for example, recommend putting at least a 100 cartridges that are 32g or more through it to bed it in.

Gamebore Velocity work well in my Stoeger. Eley's don't.