3rd metatarsal brocken

gottsy boy

Hi all

Last sunday I managed to break my foot apparently its my 3rd metatarsal, I have been fitted witb a boot and told to keep my weight off but im self employed no insurance, anyone know when ill be abke to start hobbling around on it its still far to painful at the min. I was hoping 2-3 weeks and I coukd get about on the boot

I broke mine a few years ago. I'm self employed also and rushed back to work with an open cast boot on. Bad move. I still have problems with mine now and wish I had taken the doctors advice and rested up. If you have insurance then claim on it. I broke three of mine and once I had the open boot taken off recovery was a few weeks more after that as you have poor support compared to the flat base of the boot. I also had some insoles made which I did end up using for a few weeks to help support the arch under my foot. The NHS made them in about a week.

Speedy recovery GB and don't rush too much to get back. Go easy on it once you are back up and about too.

Done my 5th 3 years ago. Was in cast for 6 weeks, air cast for a further 3 weeks (told not to load bear for longer than 10-15mins at a time) then took another 3weeks of rest before I could "walk properly". Certainly wasnt a quick fix for me I can assure you! That said every break is different so you might be lucky :) Stick to what advice you are given though or you could end up taking even longer if you ignore their advice!

Speedy recovery.