sighting a new rifle

monkeyjaimz

Now then, bought myself an Umerex airmagnum 850 last week, not taken it out on the field yet as not had much luck keeping it on the straight and narrow so to speak.

I had it zeroed in just fine when i got it home but think it may have had a slight knock during transit in the back of my truck (although it is in a well padded bag), tried again tonite over 30 yrds and the pellets were ending up all over the show.

Im wondering if its possibly the ammunition im using that may disagree with the rifle?

Also, im getting a puff of smoke from the barrel when firing, is this normal?

cheers.

Hello monkey, well firing your gun at night changes the judgement of distance if you used a lamp or some type of light its still pretty hard to get the correct judgement on the sights your best bit is to wait till the morning reset the sights and shot at a large backing target like a large sheet of paper with a single black dot in the centre, (30yrds or 27.432 metres) then set your sight up you see, more clearly were your pellets are traveling then from there punches in the paper also what pellets are you using and what grain?, also the puff of smoke could be the lubication which should go after its run in

arnold ipswich

Cheers guys, i set up a little range yesterday lunchtime at 30 yrds exactly and had the same problems, then after much fannying about and about to throw the towel in, realised that it was probably down to the flimsy plaggy bipod i was using! took it off and things were much better. unfortunately ran out of time to finish the job but learned a valuable lesson there i thought.

As for pellets, i've been onto the pellpax website and ordered one of their sample packs to test out (and a more substantial bag to prevent any more knocks in transit)

i'll see how it goes anyway.

:lol:

Hello, is it one of those plastic bipods that clip around the barrel there not that good as they dont grip good, still shouldnt cause that much of a problem as using a recoiless rifle doesnt give the kick back of a spring rifle, if it was a spring rifle on bipod then the rifle would jump after the recoil causing your pellets to go all over the show, since its not a spring and only a C02 maybe you want to look at shooting postions and tactics for yourself? firm grip, dont hold the rifle in a postion for to long your arms may begin to shake, breath calmly, only hold bearth if you want to hold postion before taking shot at target, practice makes a good shot everytime, and if using open sights might be good idea to invest in a scope with zoom, scopes make better aiming

Before you start spending money on upgrading your kit you should probably make sure that the inconsistency with your set up is not somethig silly like a loose scope or the stock is not loose. :lol:

You may have allready done this :good: But just incase. :beer:

Another issue with inconsistency could well be the pellets you are using. :o

Hope you resolve the problem m8 keep us posted :beer:

kipper :beer: