today's shooting

naddan28

I went down the farm for my third shoot today, and as usual the farm had nothing to shoot on it! :@ However the farmer (partner's cousin, top bloke) showed me 3 off his other farms I could shoot on, one of which had **** loads of pigeons on, and some rabbit & rat runs. Now I am off on sunday to try one of my other 3 farms to shoot on hoping I am actually going to find some quarry! They did look promising, but time wil tell. The problem is trying to find some cover within the range of where the birds are feeding, although he has told me in the spring when the pheasant cover is shot down I will have the best ratting even in my life! Also he wants me to do roost shooting with the rifle in spring as apparently he has major nesting problems on the farms.

He also invited me on new yrs day to the party which i missed due to work, and to top it off they had all the game shooters down giving lessons on the clays to everyone. So I missed my first opp to get some skeet shooting in! I was so upset although he has said if i want to get a shotgun, he will sign my SGC and sell me his spare 12g as its not used much. Plus he is going to invite me to beat at the next shoot he does so I can get a feel for game shooting, which is going to be great!

your a lucky lad there will be a few on here green with envy AND IM ONE lol, well done

just one point look after your shoot and the farmers, a bottle at xmass is a good one?? :good:

I do help him out, today i went down the farm and there was an empty tractor on the field and then saw ben the farmers lab running around the tractor. Got up to the tractor and ben was 80yds up the field barking at me. Stood still, he got a bit closer barked again and eventually after a tense 3 mins he realised it was me and came running up to me! He's a big soppy thing, so i phoned the farmer and he was a tad shocked so i went and I walked him down to the kennel and stuck him in there. One very happy farmer and a more relaxed me. I know I am a really lucky lad and cant wait for some spring season shooting. He has told me that some camo netting and a hide will help me so i am looking forward to building some good rabbit and pigeon hides when we get nearer march. The only thing is I am moving away for a year in july!!! So how bad is that! Although the silver lining is i am hopefully moving to Farnborough/Bisley and now hold a security clearance (working for BAE Systems) so will find it a hell of a lot easier to get a SGC &/or FAC

well done, thats the way keep on the ball with him there`s nothing worse than losing a shoot and when your away make sure you call him from time to time just to let him know you still care and that will mean alot to him

am sure. I live near Bae systems in Barrow-in-Furness they make subs???

well done, thats the way keep on the ball with him there`s nothing worse than losing a shoot and when your away make sure you call him from time to time just to let him know you still care and that will mean alot to him

am sure. I live near Bae systems in Barrow-in-Furness they make subs???

yes they make the astute class of subs. I am hoping working for them is going to make obtaining permission a bit easier! althou i may have another new permission, mother inlaw's work mate clay shoots and has masses for horse riding land, so i told her to kindly offer my rabbit/ratting services :good:

Congratulations on the job and extra permissions, I can tell from your note how pleased you are. I started out by beating, then joined the syndicate as a gun, thouroughy enjoyed myself, it was a DIY shoot and we all mucked in with feepering and feeding etc, we used to get 40-50 bird days. Just a shame we lost the farm when the channel tunnel rail link cut through it and it was sold.

Congratulations on the job and extra permissions, I can tell from your note how pleased you are. I started out by beating, then joined the syndicate as a gun, thouroughy enjoyed myself, it was a DIY shoot and we all mucked in with feepering and feeding etc, we used to get 40-50 bird days. Just a shame we lost the farm when the channel tunnel rail link cut through it and it was sold.

I see your a local Bradders, have you been shooting long? Where do you shoot? I shoot on the farms in preston, fortunately being semi related I am given certain privledges perhaps others might not but the farmer lets me know where the prob is and i then try to stop it! Sunday is going to be my first "proper" day as only just seen the other farms, which i must say look a lot more promising! Tomorrow I aim to spend a good hour or two in the back garden practicing on some paper targets so i can get nice tight groupings and just get some more time to know the gun a bit better. I dont suppose you have been/go to the Ashford Woodman's Air rifle club? I was somewhat curious but dunno whether I am curious enough to go. Perhaps at some point we could go for a shoot (if/when i get a SGC).