Really impressed with my Scanpan

njc110381

I know it's not often folk post things like this, but I thought it was worth a little heads up in case anyone is looking for some new cookware.

About seven years ago I bought a Scanpan non stick frying pan after seeing a demo at a game fair. It wasn't cheap, but I wanted to try getting something decent instead of the usual teflon junk. The main selling point was that it can cope with metal utensils - something many non stick coatings suffer with. The guy on the stand was really giving it some with a metal spatula, so that had me sold.

Anyway, after seven years of use we found that food was starting to stick to the pan. Bloody annoying but it's had a tough life and I thought seven years wasn't a bad effort these days. Then I noticed a blemish in the surface... almost like a coating had chipped off and it had left a little pit about an inch round. I had a poke at it and more started to fall off.

Well, to cut a long story short I went onto the Scanpan website and read that the pans should be washed straight after use or crud can build up on them as they cool. Crud that apparently even a scouring pad doesn't shift... So as a last resort I set to it with one of those scrapers that holds a stanley knife blade! I had to lean on it so hard that I bent the scraper, but the black coating (looked a bit like teflon actually) slowly peeled away. I rinsed the pan out and put it on the heat, no oil added and chucked a couple of burgers in. They slid around the pan perfectly - it's like brand new again!

I suppose what impressed me the most is just how hard I went at it with the scraper and the surface is still fine. That and after seven years of abuse it can come back this good. I'll be buying more of their stuff shortly - it's not cheap but it's bloody good quality and built to last! :yes:

Edited by njc110381