Anyone know about payg tariffs?

fieldwanderer

Both on and off topic I suppose;

I've bought a ltl acorn trail camera that can text or email pictures to me but I could do with a little bit of help finding a pay as you go sim that'll be as cheap as possible and with decent coverage.

NOT 3g though - the camera thing doesn't use it as far as I know.

Can anyone help please?

A word of caution about Orange (EE ) SIM 's ,a friend has had a lot of problems with them. His burglar alarm has one it sends him and his wife a text every time the system is armed disarmed or set off or the garage door is opened. Twice EE have shut the SIM down and told him it's a security issue , they won't let you talk to the relevant dept only e mail. In the end he had to pay out to get the alarm system changed to another net work.

Giffgaff are good - but you need to determine what kind of messages the device will be sending.

If a picture message/MMS - GiffGaff don't support MMS in any of their bundles (they call them goodybags). My kids use GiffGaff as it offers 3 months of free calls/texts (but not MMS) between GiffGaff phones after a topup .

If the photos are sent by e-mail, then i'm assuming it is using data - in which case you need a tariff which is good for data. GiffGaff charge a maximum of 20p per day for up to 20mb of data PAYG. For something like an image - 20mb is actually not too bad depending on size and how much they are compressed. After that it is 20p/MB, unless you buy a goodybag with inclusive data (from 7.50 per month) but probably not worth it for this application.

GiffGaff run on the O2 network - so check connectivity in the area.

Edited by aris

Specify it's a machine to machine sim and you should get one around £2 a month.

Never heard of this, can you tell me any more please?

It can send mms and email so either really as I can get either with my phone but will only use gsm or GPRS (not 3G).

Another concern is, last time I was on payg (admittedly quite a while ago), they'd all started cutting you off if you didn't top up regularly - the camera may not see that much use really so this is something I'd rather avoid if possible.

Giffgaff are good - but you need to determine what kind of messages the device will be sending.

If a picture message/MMS - GiffGaff don't support MMS in any of their bundles (they call them goodybags). My kids use GiffGaff as it offers 3 months of free calls/texts (but not MMS) between GiffGaff phones after a topup .

If the photos are sent by e-mail, then i'm assuming it is using data - in which case you need a tariff which is good for data. GiffGaff charge a maximum of 20p per day for up to 20mb of data PAYG. For something like an image - 20mb is actually not too bad depending on size and how much they are compressed. After that it is 20p/MB, unless you buy a goodybag with inclusive data (from 7.50 per month) but probably not worth it for this application.

GiffGaff run on the O2 network - so check connectivity in the area.

They do support mms...you have to alter the settings on your phone manually ..your right that they don't do mms in bundles tho....I've been with giffgaff a couple of years now...no issues

p

Another concern is, last time I was on payg (admittedly quite a while ago), they'd all started cutting you off if you didn't top up regularly - the camera may not see that much use really so this is something I'd rather avoid if possible.

Giffgaff is all online, so you topup online, and will only cut you off if you do not send or receive a call or text in 6 months - but they send you an email to warn you first.

The sim will still need to have data connectivity. The fact the camera doesn't use 3G is neither here nor there really.

The sim will be 3G enabled and the camera will use the fastest data transfer it is capable of, being GPRS, over the 3G data network.

Cheapest way I would suggest would be a sim with a bog standard plan and get it to contact you via email rather than MMS as the data should end up cheaper than pics, depending on camera quality