game cover cost

It really comes down to market forces in your area. Round here rent for plots is in excess of £1000 per acre. Add to that fencing costs and tillage costs.

Dependant on what crop you sow and the methods used to till the crop you will be talking hourly rates of around £40/hour for ploughing, £20 for discing/harrowing,rolling and drilling. Add to that spraying at £30/hour and fertilizing at say £20 hour. All plus chemical costs.

You're very lucky to get it at that sort of price.

Obviously depends on crops tilled and so on but land not used for non agricultural purposes is not eligible for SFP so in many cases farmers letting land at that sort of price are basically doing it for free. Certainly in my scheme I would be out of pocket renting it out at that price !

What sort off price would you be looking at to rent an acre for game cover charlieT

I would charge the going rate which, around here is a minimum of £1000 per acre.

I don't rent out any as we shoot the farm but neighbours get £1000+, dependant on how many acres they let.

Remember though that these plots are each side of deep valleys which make for spectacular shooting and are much sought after.

The problem for the landowner is coming up with a price that reflects loss of income from the land. A neighbour who lets several acres for plots has to rent extra grazing in the summer for his sheep at £80/acre, so that's another cost that has to be reflected.

So you have a loss of SFP, loss of profit from farming it, additional land rent costs plus a little something for the hassle plus a little profit from the deal to make it all worthwhile.