SGC

Hello all.. Some of you know i lost my SGC through a moment of madness and stupidity.. I was charger with dangerous driving after over taking a friend around a traffic light at 2am one morning.. This was my first and only offence and haven't been in trouble or spoken to the law since.. my question to you guys is ive got a op soon to have my shoulder pinned and once all is well and my arms back to its normal state i would like to reapply for my SGC which would be around 1-1/2, 2 years since i lost my licence so would you think ill get it back or would they turn me down?

Many thanks Jb

You need to read thishttps://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q237.htm & http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm199900/cmselect/cmhaff/95/9505.htm Iwould suggest joining BASC and following their guidance.

The Act specifies particular good reasons for possession of a shotgun: if these are stated, the chief constable is bound to grant a certificate if all other conditions are satisfied. They are:

• use for sporting or for competition purposes;
  • use for shooting vermin.[124]

It is for the chief constable to demonstrate that the applicant has no good reason. In addition, the chief constable may not refuse a shotgun certificate application or renewal merely because he has reason to believe that the applicant has not used, or will not use, the shotgun or shotguns in question.

66. The grounds on which a shotgun certificate may be revoked are different from those for the revocation of a firearm certificate. The grounds for revocation of a shotgun certificate are satisfied if the chief constable is satisfied either

• (a) that the certificate holder is prohibited from possessing a shotgun; or
    • (b) that the certificate holder cannot be permitted to possess a shotgun without danger to public safety or the peace.[125]

Though if police do decide to formally revoke a certificate (which should be in writing), the revocation allows a right of appeal. Simply

handing over your firearms does not attract that right of appeal and the police may keep your guns for a considerable time without a right of review or appeal.
Alternatively once revoked and particularly if your case is dropped, you are able to submit a new application for your certificate(s) at any time; however in difficult cases where the police are unable to prosecute, usually due to technicalities and where there is strong suspicion that someone had been involved in criminal activity, a certificate may not be returned immediately, but possibly some months later once the police have allowed for a cooling off period and you can demonstrate that the problem is resolved. Ultimately where revocations and refusals are concerned the police should justify as part of the revocation/refusal process that you are either “a danger to public safety or to the peace” for shotgun certificates, or that you are “not fit to be entrusted with a firearm” for firearm certificates. Afterwards the only option is for a Judge to decide whether the police are right or wrong by lodging appeal with the Crown Court. If you find yourself in this position, you must bear in mind that appeal to a Crown Court can be both uncertain and very expensive and any appeal will always be held in abeyance pending the resolution of criminal matters. Always consult a solicitor before lodging an appeal.

Taken from a BASC .pdf https://www.google.com/url?q=http://basc.org.uk/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php%3Fid%3D133&sa=U&ei=cmblUrrzD6GG0AWWn4HQDQ&ved=0CAYQFjAB&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFElDHkimUqCHxXQqMnIe0XbSKvxA