Saturday pigeons in Dunmow

captainsensible

Had another nice day Saturday on Terry & Duncan's land at Dunmow (see pigeon shooting in Essex in the paid shooting section).

The first field we tried, that has had over a hundred pigeon on it during the week, was bare! The law of s*d at work.

We went to the field I shot a week or so ago and some pigeons were coming into the corner where I has set up before so I decided to give it a go. Got four in the first two hours (and should have got 4/5 more).

I had come out of the hide to adjust the pattern when I saw a chap approaching from the field entrance who introduced himself as Taz and it turned out he had permission to shoot over some of the same land as Terry & Duncan. He said that he was out on a reccie as he intended to shoot Sunday with his brother. It was now afternoon and he told me that the pigeons were coming in over a tree further down the field. When I had arrived I hadn't seen any in that area and he said they quite often didn't use that flightline until later in the day. Where I had set up the hide this tree was out of sight and when I walked further into the field I could see that a flightline appeared to be using the tree as a marker to cross the field.

I decided to move and Taz offered to help me. We chatted in the hide for a bit and I hope I sold PW to him as he was not a member.

Sure enough the pigeons were soon coming in and despite missing more than I should have ( I'm blaming it on having an audience) I ended the day with 17.

Photo only shows 13 as 2 went where I couldn't retrieve them and Taz asked if he could take 2 for his magnet on Sunday - the least I could do.

What a generous offer to put me under a flightline that he was intending to shoot the next day.

Nice to meet you Taz (if you have joined PW and read this) and thanks again to Terry and Duncan

post-56598-0-34635800-1396226792_thumb.jpg

Taz gets about a bit & must have a lot of permission. The 2 of us were set up shooting a field on saturday when someones smoking a fag at the edge of the field.

Turns out it's Taz who has a lot of permission on the field's around ours. I could blacken his name with a story from one of the other guns in our party of 4 who has shot on the same land for years but I won't but lets just say they never got on & never will.

Edited by landy george