sporting clays,skeet,and trap

jcbruno

sorry for the ameture question when it comes to this topic i have little knowledge but what is the diference between these disiplins i shoot rifle alot and am just starting to explore this disiplin any info will be great thanks in advance for any info, the only shotgunning i ever do is a little bird hunting and i have shot a few clays at a range under my own supervision :lol: i am sure it was a site to see oh well i dont have that much shame anyways :lol:

what is the diference between these disiplins

Basically, Sporting is when you stand at one point, usually an open 'cage', and the clays can come from any direction at any speed. You are told where they come from before you shoot, and can usually see a pair - there is usually 2 different targets on each stand.There are typically 6 or 8 different shooting points for each 50 or so targets, with a different type of flight for each clay on each stand.The idea is that the clays simulate different birds in flight, hence the sporting name. They can be incoming,overhead going away, straight up and down, and any combination of crossers at different heights/speeds.

Skeet is shot in a semi circle, facing 2 trap houses. There are 7 stands spread around the semi circle, if you stand at stand 4, the mid stand, the traps are at your extreme right and left.You take various shots as singles and pairs at each stand, to make up 25 shots.The clays are usually a maximum of 35-40 yards away, though it is not easy to hit them.

Trap disciplines are basically a trap, or multiple traps set around 15 yards in front of you, with all of the clays going away from you.They can go left or right or straight on, but all start from the same point, and going away fast. 'Down The Line' clays come out at a regular height, but they can go in any direction in a 45 degree arc from the trap. Universal trap and ABT have differing heights with each clay as well to make it harder.There are a number of variations of trap shooting.

Alan.