no pigeons feeding.

tody27

After many years decoying I realised that I have never decoyed on fields with no pigeons feeding on them. I tried it the other day on a ploughed field under a main flight line. I had no success. I think one of the reasons for the lack of success was becasue futher on under the flight line was an appealing rape field.

I was wondering if anybody as ever tried decoying on fields that have no pigeon interest. (under flight lines of course), and have any of you had success?

Tody

I have had a couple of successful days at intercepting birds heading to other fields. From memory, these fields were winter wheat so the deeks stood out well. I think the trick here is to field as many deeks as possible, say 50+ and get directly underneath the flightline. If possible have a good stiff breeze (20mph+) on your back and keep clear of any roost woods.

I wouldn,t set up on a field, unless I had seen pigeons feeding there.

As well as helping your confidence, it tells you which parts of the field they are favouring and also the flight lines.

Once I know they are using a field, If no better opportunities are available, I will set up on that field, even though no pigeons are feeding on it when I arrive.

I am confident they will come in to the decoys and they usually do.

Guest flightline

I have somtimes set up under a flightline on spec confident that the birds will come in if there are enough of them in the air-even on a field I`ve never shot before. A magnet helps. It often works but the key is a good strong flightline.